Return to simple motoring?

Hello everybody!

After many years of clean hands and computerised cars, I have returned to the joys of cold oily hands and burnt and scraped knuckles having got hold of a fairly untouched series 2a 88" 1967 2.3 petrol. Although most of my youth was spent under the bonnet of a Mini, I have worked on LRs before but my memory fades. This is a fairly decent condition vehicle and I'm keen to restore it within practical limits. The obvious long term plan is to replace the tired bulkhead in its entirity and I suppose the much welded chassis at the same time. In the meantime I have 11 months grace with an mot and historic status on the V5.

Could you send some recommendations out for decent web and paper reading, some good sites, and trustworthy places in NW England for spares and bits.

Is there a decent site detailing the time involved in a bulkhead swap?

I hear the DVLA are a bit touchy about nominally historic vehicles whizzing around with 21 century chassis/bulkheads etc. Is this true?

What view do the boys in blue take to a potentially 7 seater being driven around with 3 kids unbelted in the back? My understanding is that side facing seats do not require belts. Anyone got any experience here?

Fill her up! If I am lucky enough to have enough cash on me I intend to fill the tank one day. I have heard horror stories about blow back from the ventilation breather pipe on the tank spilling tons of fuel on the forecourt. Can anyone advise or elaborate?

Thanks all in anticipation and please don't laugh!

Eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton

Not Laughing, Quitely Giggling :-)

Have fun, You will enjoy it.................. :-)

Reply to
Igundwane

Welcome!

or, shamelss plug as I own it!!!!

for the written word Series I, II & II A Guide To Restoration by Lindsay Porter is a starter

I've not seen one that specifically covers that topic

The DVLA web site has a page dealing with "the points system" that governs historic status

Not an area of expertese, as its something you must get right I'll not comment!

New one on me!!! Unless there is a blockage I cant see why that should happen.

Who's laughing - most of the readers of this group suffer from terminal LandRoveritis

Richard

Reply to
beamends

The LR supermarket in Speke, Liverpool based. You can touch and fondle all parts before purchase as its self-service.

Overlanders in Litherland, Liverpool is also very good although not as cheap.

Had good experiences of both.

Martin

1980 SIII 109.

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

If the chassis is a new replacement to original spec I.E. not second hand then it's OK the bulkhead and body don't come into the DVLA's points system so your ok As I understand it you get

5 points for the chassis 2 points each for suspension,axles and transmission 1 point for engine you must get 8 points to retain historic status so original chassis,suspension and axles 9 points ok but if you change to coil springs you lose the chassis,suspension and axles leaving you with 3 points, a "Q" plate and TAX

your right there is no requirement for seat belts on side facing seat as long as your insurance knows its 7 seats no problem It's then down to personal choice I prefer to have my kids strapped in with lap belts at least but some people think in a front impact that they can cause injury as the body flexes side ways It's down to you I eventually want to fit 3 point harnesses in the back of mine

filled mine up to the brim many times never had a problem apart from when the tank deciced it had had enough and developed holes

We won't laugh we're all afflicted the save It's a landrover thing

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

What, didn't you have an engine? Was it a Fred Flintstone type arrangement?

Reply to
David French

arrangement?

pretty much, my mate used to make me pedal into town :-)

Eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton

Thanks for the support, all positive and humourous contibutions accepted! I'm currently replacing the (shagged) exhaust between children demands. The joy of flecks of rust in the eye bring back such joyful memories.

Eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton

Eddy...take a peek at my site when you have a moment. The projects page has

3 sections which may be of interest.

Project Percy is my beloved IIa...Theres a Diary about my rebuild of it, in which I balanced life, shift work, 2 kids, an operation and the project on a miniscule budget. An initial estimate of a 3 month engine and gearbox swap turned into 2 years.

Project Barton has lots of pics of Roger Bartons rebuild , many of his bulkead etc etc...he lives on the lre forum in the series section and has a full diary of his build there.

The latest addition...Project Jay-Lo has piccys of some restoration work I've done on Sis's LWB safari...many of which are of the bulkhead repairs to the footwells, door pillars, and other bits and bobs such as outriggers and rear crossmembers....not alot of text but they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I never was much for Essays. Sounds like you could get away with this sort of work on yours.

Let me know what you think....

If it does nothing more than motivate you then thats a result.

Regards

Lee D.

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Hi

Join the Series Two Club

the forum
the "green bible"
parts book
enjoy

Nick

eddy bayt> Hello everybody!

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Nah. There's a points system in place which determines whether a vehicle can be historic registered but, to be honest, I'd probably not bother telling them as it already has its status.

I've fitted a lap belt to the centre front seat but the four rears remain unbelted and I've never had any problems from Plod or the MOT tester. [I've a 1969 S2A that has mainly S3 bodywork these days.]

Yeah, mine does this although it isn't too bad. As soon as it starts doing it I usually stop filling as otherwise it'll only slosh out of the top of the filler pipe when cornering and stuff.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

I would bung a lap belt or two in just for peace of mind. Depending on the age of the children - ie you need kiddie seats - make sure you try them first as most of the ones available on the market are designed for the more reclined type of seat and not the 90 degree bend LR seats have!

I use a pair of Concorde Fixmax's which fit equally well in front, back and middle of my 90. The standard LR lap belt puts the buckle right on the lip if the seat so making it a weak point liable to pop open. I picked up a pair of adjustable lap belt from my local motor factors (I think Halfords (spit) do them as well) and not had a problem since.

Mind you I have see a 90 parked outside mothercare with 4 kiddie seats in the back held in by chains......(the seats not the kids).

Hope this helps JonW D90 "When in danger, when in doubt Run in circles, scream and shout" RotR, Rule 8.g (amended)

Reply to
pl.white

all useful info thanks eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton

thanks, i'm experimenting with configurations. eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton