200,300Tdi and Td5?

What are the main differences between these engines? What years of the defender have them fitted?

I have heard about the 300 timing belt problems. Are there any similar serious problems with the Td5?

I am guessing the Td5 is the best?

Regards, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Td5 has five cylinders, 300 Tdi has 4 - the Td5 is usualy reckoned to be smoother.

Apart from some injector timing problems on very early engines, the Td5 seems to be pretty robust (they finaly saw the light and went back to a timing chain - hoorah!).

Depends on how you define best! The Td5 does not have the same low down grunt as the 300 Tdi (even though on paper it's not much different) so our farmer customers are not amused at having to either slip the clutch a lot or start in low box when towing heavy loads. There are those who say that the Td5 does not have as good engine braking for off-road use. The killer for me though is that under the new style goverment fuel cycles, the 300 Tdi is more economical!!!! But the Td5 is very much faster on the road than the 300 Tdi. All my own opinions of course......

Richard

Reply to
beamends

Thanks for replying.

Does the 200 Tdi have four cylinders? Do you know what years have these different engines fitted? Or even the earliest model that had the Td5. (So i can avoid the first couple of years!)

Rich

Reply to
Rich

200 Tdi is four cylinder as well.

Don't worry about early Td5's - they will have been fixed by now!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Rich Hi,

200 and 300 Tdi engines are four cylinder ones.

200Tdi was produced from 1989 up to 1994 model years.

300 Tdi was produced from 1995 up to 1998 model years for the European market. It is still produced in Brazil under license from Land Rover as the 300Tdi in 2500cc (actually 2495cc) engine capacity for the rest of the world (mainly third world countries) market when fitted in Land Rover vehicles (Defenders) and as the 2.8 Powerstroke engine which is fitted in the low lever Ford pickup trucks in the States.

TD5 engines are produced since 1998 model year and were first introduced in the Discovery series 2. Those engines had a small idiosyncronacy with the fly by wire accelerator's pedal feel and luck of low down torque. Remapping of the ECU later on (which should have been retrofitted to the early engines) has ammended this problem if it was obvious.

Beware though. As far as I know ECUs from later models DO NOT work at all with the early engines.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos