Reversing Steering on a series iii

A new acquaintance of mine runs a training company, and is desirous of making an ex-military Series III landrover "reverse" steering as an exercise for something or other - his current intent is to "just" change the worm wheel for a reversed one, but I don't think that would mesh with the mating pinion. So, what solutions to this idea can anyone else dream up.Apparently it all needs to look straight and unmodified, so my idea of using a relay is out of the question.

All suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
steve

If you could mount the front steeringing link arm from the relat to the rear of the wheel instead of the front then link the two wheels together across the axle... job done... though I suspect one may be high and tuther low on the fitting side of things

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's usually done with a LHD (or the opposite hand to that fitted) steering box - I think that it's simply a case of mounting it upside down. Does the drop arm need to be repositioned? It was a long time ago

- I've forgotten.

Reply to
Dougal

One way that works is to take the arm off the steering box and put it back on at 180 degrees so it points upwards instead of the usual down. You probably need to move the battery / battery tray, I can't remember as it's years since I saw / drove the "converted" vehicle.

Chris

Reply to
Bettster

Use (parts of) a LHD steering box ? (assuming that the target vehicle is RHD, that is)

---Ketil

Reply to
Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun

Just had a look at mine - Simplest looks to be make up a mount for a steering relay bolted or welded to the chassis in front of the front cross member, twice the relay arm length further forward, put the arm on the back of the relay, and use an extended link from the steering box (track rod ought to be about the right length). JD

Reply to
JD

Somebody did it here in Zimbabwe - we used it at one of our events as section - You get used to driving it forward fairly quickly, but once you start reversing, it gets very hairy!

I believe they did it with a LHD box.

Regards Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter