Series III rebuild

Hi all

I am wanting to buy an old series III and rebuild it. I am wanting a reliable, easy to work on vehicle. Can anybody please recommend the best model/engine for this? Please share your opinions.

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Downes

Twas Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:42:14 +0200 when "Peter Downes" put finger to keyboard producing:

Series 3. well the model depends on what you'll use it for, how many seats you need and how much 'stuff' space. Personally I like the diesel engines, if you don't want to go with the original 2.25 I's reccommend a 200tdi (2.5).

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes, but the 200tdi isn't a series III engine.

The later SIII has some improvements to the braking system, and there are various other detail differences. Go for the 2.25 engine.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Hi Mark

I currently have a Discovery Tdi 300 2.5l. It has just died. the oil pump in the sump blocked and the engine seized. This engine has cost me a fortune to service, and now it will cost me another fortune to fix.The mechanics say that it is a rare failure.

There was no overheating, and no warning. I am not a mechanic, and was hoping to get an engine that I could maintain myself.

I would be happy to try a 2.25l. This eliminates the Turbo, and a lot of the electronics. Can you give me an idea of the consumption/performance of this engine?

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter Downes

Twas Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:34:49 +0000 (GMT) when snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") put finger to keyboard producing:

Indeed but if you are not going for 100% originality then I'd go for a

200tdi (if I could afford one).

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:42:51 +0200 when "Peter Downes" put finger to keyboard producing:

Performance best described as 'adaquate'. around 25mpg..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

and by adaquate, he means piss-poor. the 2.25 litre petrol was rated at 77hp or 83hp (and something else i think, depending on comp. ratio and number of bearings), which, on a 1800kg truck, does not make for good performance. the

2.25 diesel was rated at 62hp i believe. so neither of these are going to fling you back in your seat, but you can be confident that you are going to get where you want to go (generally). the engine is rather like an enlarged lawn-mower engine, so it is dead-simple to work on. it really is a top engine (with the relatively little experience i have had with it) but is not designed for using a landy on the road under contemporary conditions. just open up the bonnet, and no matter where you are, you'll feel as though your standing in a barn somewhere out on a farm.

go for it mate.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

If you want a Deisel then the 2.25 is a tad underpowered. Petrol

2.25's are alright, although the LWB is naturally a bit slower than a SWB. Avoid the 2.6 six-pot at all costs, it's not a good engine for the vehicle, and rebuilding them isn't worth it. I know cos I've got one.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The usual sort of work on the head -- "porting" -- would help either engine, though I don't know if anyone does it for a diesel head. And the diesel engine's injectors and injector pump may be getting old and tired. The air filter, on the other hand, is very free-flowing.

If you want a reliable engine, it's unwise to do a lot of tuning, but there is some room for improvement. The exhaust manifold, for instance, is of a style which is a bit restrictive.

Reply to
David G. Bell

What sort of fuel consumption and speed can I expect from the 2.25 diesel?

Reply to
Peter Downes

Twas Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:04:50 +0200 when "Peter Downes" put finger to keyboard producing:

18-30 MPG depending on condition etc. 50-(maybe) 60 MPH.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Turner Engineering will port a diesel head.

When I had my 2.25 Diesel re-built by them some years back, they reckoned that they could match the gain of the Turbocharger that I'd previously had fitted by Allards on Ross on Wye - and that was about 30%.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson