Ride Height Sensor? Use a hammer on it??

Hi all,

I'm in "soft fault mode" on on the air suspension of my 93 Range Rover County LWB (Vogue). I took it to our local off-brand Rover mechanic and had him put it on the test book. It came back with "Right Front ride height sensor out of range."

His suggestion was that I "Just hit it with a hammer." At first I thought he was joking, but he seemed serious so I left, still somewhat quizzical. I imagined simply knocking something closer into to range however now that I see how it's configured that's obviously impossible. The angle of the sensor seems relatively normal and is within a few degrees of the left front sensor.

Now I'm thinking that he was suggesting that part of the inernal sensor was stuck and needed freeing with a jolt.

Has anyone tried this before? What's the risk etc? Doesn't it need recalibrating afterward anyway? Was my mechanic joking and/or setting me up? (He hates air suspension systems in general and tried to get everyone to replace them with springs.

I know this whole thing sounds a bit silly and I should have quizzed him but I was late and in a hurry there you have it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Arden

Reply to
Arden

I've twice had my '93 give me out of range faults - both times on the same (OSR) wheel.

Don't worry about it too much, just get it reset and see how you go.

I wouldn't be hitting it with a hammer though.

It may be an idea to change your bump stops. I think this had a material effect on at least one of my failures.

When the car is in access mode it's sitting on the stops, so if they are old and soft it may sit down too low (out of range).

This is an easy and cheap job - but make sure you get the correct bump stops, because they are different to non EAS models.

Reply to
Nick