Road Closed 'Removal' Legality

Another -

came across a road that was flooded this evening. It had police tape across the road, from lamp post to lamp post in traditional fashion, but no actual sign.

I walked along the raised walkway, and it was only 2 foot deep max. I know that a car would struggle, hence the tape.

Where do i stand in removing the tape and driving thought it anyway? Its a legal A road and i pay my road tax!!!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I know up here that when the police close the roads due to snow the chances are that progessing past the signs would give your insurance company a nice big hole to jump through and not pay out.

The roads are closed with A frame barriers and ROAD CLOSED signs though. The blue tape has POLICE - DO NOT CROSS on it so I suspect that crossing it would have the same implications. I thought the maximum un modified wading depth of a Land Rover was around 18" not 24"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
ranewman

ranewman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ok The law says if you interfere with a sign placed out with a bobbie you commit an offence, in the old days you would no doubt have been summonsed, now you can be arrested if the need can be justified.

If your tampering caused serious danger to road users even in the old days you could be arrested (Students please note!) ... now you can be arrested, though the bobbie would probably prefer to plonk you in the hole you just exposed and resurrect the signs.

In reality if you'd replaced the tape and driven through , not endagered anyone and got to the other side unscathed the CPS (can't prosecute service) would advise that you couldn't be prosecuted even if you caught a bobbie on a bad day who actually had the time to knock you off for the tampering in the first place.

Don't use my personal thoughts as an excuse, I've been known to be wrong...

1999 I think it was, the world was supposed to end New years eve which was why I was working to get the OT to rebuild the house..... damn!

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

At the end of the day it all depends who is looking, I mean where do all those traffic cones and flashers go on a Saturday night ?

Reply to
Larry

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Cones... Uni halls

Flashers... Zanzibar

;-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

a mate and myself whilst driving in his RR came across a road which was in the process off being closed by the police for being too flooded. We asked if we could go through it anyway and they said to go for it (but to take it slowly as it is lapping round peoples doorsteps!).

In your case, I'd have gone for carefully getting past the tape and giving it a try but not to expect any sympathy if caught out :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:46:01 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

This is a potential issue: if the road's flooded with muddy water, you don't know for sure that it's still there under the water, or that there's not some hidden large object there.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Speaking of which, a few years back when there were floods around me (yes, it used to happen before 2006 too - not that you'd believe it if you listened to the BBC) I was out in my 110 messing about and the Police had a 'friendly' haulage company put a 40ft trailer across the road to stop people going down it. A bit of tape wouldn't have stopped me, but that did! Surely if people are willing to "give it a go" and there isn't any danger to anyone else, why not just let them - if they get stuck it's their own fault. Oh, sorry - I forgot we're not allowed to think or take responsibility for ourselves anymore, something might happen.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Putting the legality asside, get stuck and your recovery service probably won't, damage the vehicle on somehting hidden and your insurers probably won't pay out and damage some hidden street furniture or service and they will charge you for fixing it.

I have to admit to having done something similar, but we were only talking 6" of flood and it was in the middle of nowhere. Greg

Reply to
Greg

There was a road closed near us a couple of years ago and lots of people in

4x4's were driving past the road closed sign, all was well until a motor cyclist did the same and hit something under the water and fell off. I think it was a large building block. Richard
Reply to
Richard

Even worse, you might enjoy yourself without a team of consultants getting paid to tell you you are!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Theres also the issue of damage to other peoples property due to the wash from passing cars.

Reply to
Tim Jones

That i would draw the line at.

The only thing around this road is fields - Well water at the moment...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Problem is the fire service etc then have to come out and haul them out, it's always a bit of a balance really, on the one hand people should be able to do what they want, but on the other if they're dolts and get it wrong then someone else has to risk their kneck saving their bacon. No real way of deciding what's right or wrong in advance on that one! Police etc have to assume that people are dolts and need to be prevented from harming themselves, wander around in a town for a while and you'll see why ;-)

Yeah, like natural selection!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:55:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

I got up quite a nice bow wave in front of the transit in the co-op car park. Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone getting in to cars above the high-water mark to get hit by the resulting mini-tsunami.

Mind, did that once in one of the land rovers, and a chap in a (diesel) renault 19 followed me. He then found out where renault had put the air intake (moronic design): about 6" from the ground...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Police diver looking for a lost Rover Metro that fell into a pot hole that the council "forgot" to repair?

Reply to
Elder