RotorArm Stuck

Hello Gang. Anyone got a quick solution to removing a non budging Rotor arm on a 110 V8 3.5 Distributor. I have been advised to break the original.

Reply to
John Oakes

Warm it gently with a blowtorch for a couple of minutes - be GENTLE.

Let it cool, GENTLY grasp the top and twist against the virtical axis whilst twisting GENTLY.

If that fails, rip the f***er out however best suits your (by then, frustrated) needs...

Reply to
Mother

John. if it's stuck, crack it by gripping with mole grips or similar to get it off. If you pull upwards, it will shear a tiny circlip in the top of the distributor shaft and the advance/retard weights and springs will fly apart. Break it out if stuck, clean top of shaft with emery and wipe with oily rag before fitting new. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I had something similar on my SIIa. I needed to get it all apart to clean as the advance was sticking and couldn't get the lobe to drop off the shaft. I put the dizzy in the freezer for an hour or so. You might want to wear gloves for the next part, mainly because it will be so cold but also in case you pour hot water over your hands :)

I boiled the kettle and run the water gently over the lobe, it literally fell off. Not as brutal as using a flame as heat source but worth a try.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Hello Brian. Enjoying new life are we. I will give this a go is there anything to check after replacing rotor arm.

Reply to
John Oakes

Oh, yes indeedy!

Nope, just clean if rusty and a wipe with an oily rag to stop it happening again. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hello Gang. New rotor arm in sweeter sound and joy to ride again. Thanks for the information.

Reply to
John Oakes