rough tickover

My series IIa (2.2 petrol) used to tickover very nicely but has been getting rougher and rougher over the past year. I have tried most obvious things - new carb (twice), new HT leads/distributer/plugs/coil but its till runs like a dog at tickover.

The main symptom is an irregular tickover and a tendency to cut-out when stopped at traffic lights, its fine when your are moving.

Can anybody suggest a possible cause or (even better) suggest somebody who can do a decent tune-up near SE London.

Reply to
matt.ayres

so snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com was, like...

Air leak between carb and head. Failing that, totally knackered engine. You have covered all the other bases, I think. Just been through all this myself.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Is the automatic advance and retard working? Pipe blocked?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Have you had the air filter out and cleaned it out - including any "concrete" hard muck in the bottom - it's surprising how often this gets overlooked.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd