RRIII - Reverse camera PAL?

I've been tinkering and have managed to hook up a camera input into the Nav display for the reversing camera. I've also wired up the feed for the relay so the image pops up when reverse is selected or on a manual switch over for when we tow as the camera is used in the rear of the caravan.

So far so good however I can't get the monitor to like my PAL camera yet the PAL camera is fine through the same system only using the TV AV input. The only down side to which is the TV goes off (understandably so) when in motion.

Any gurus know how to get the PAL to work just in the monitor/ reverse cam mode?

I've just run my Cannon EOS through the system set to NTSC and it all worked peachy.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hmmm .. on the 2006 MY the camera is switchable from PAL to NTSC, and widescreen to normal. Obviously on the BMW system you are somewhat limited. However, I'd advise you check out these guys ...

or

I know I know ... but sadly, the guts of yours are from the X5, and the guts of mine are from Ford .... :(

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Neil Brownlee uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Cheers Neil,

I blundered across the answer here from a BMW enthusiast,

basically the BMW system has either PAL or NTSC for the video AV input but the reverse camera input is NTSC only.

So my options are buy an NTSC camera or buy a NTSC/PAL PAL/NTSC converter which requires a 9v feed.

At least it confirms that the Germans can c*ck up a simple design as well as the British and Yanks.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well thanks to ebay I'm now £13.00 lighter and a NTSC Cam is hot footing it from Hong Kong as we speak. Cam cot 1p - the rest is postage and insurance - Unreal!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Standard tax dodge IIRC, value of parcel is 1p, so bugger all import tax.

I trust you'll be turning yourself in pronto ;-) Just image all that luvverly paperwork!

Didn't think they'd bother with the tax dodge for an item of that kind of value though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

£2.00 was insurance and the £10.99 postage seems fair enough given it's coming 2/3rd's the way around the globe.

I thought it best to get the insurance incase it gets washed up on a Beach and finds it's self on the back of a Pinz.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I bought a load of audio cables, each was 1p. Really good quality stuff. Postage was £10.99. Still was a minscule amount compared to what it would have cost down the road at Currys for example!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

No point.

It's under the threshold where they charge tax on imports anyway.

More likely to be a tax dodge their end.

Reply to
William Black

Yes I thought it probably was, low 30s is the threshold I think.

Or dodging ebay final value fees!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't know how big it is, but I've had quite large DVD boxes (Forbidden Planet HD-DVD edition in metal box with Robbie the Robot action figure for example...) shipped from the US, postage was a few quid. A normal HD-DVD is £11 from the states on Amazon and shipping is a few quid. Takes about 3-4 days.

Funnily enough I found a camera lying in the road a few weeks ago! I made strenuous efforts to find out who it belonged to of course, before adding it to my collection..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I found a mobile phone on a bench over the recent BH weekend at Moreton-in-Marsh. The police weren't that interested so I did a bit of sleuthing myself and phoned one of the numbers in the memory. It turns out the phone belonged to his father (elderly chap) who had already left the town and was on his way back to the SE of England. After a bit of toing and froing, I managed to get the old boy's address, bought a small jiffy bag at the PO and sent it off to him. I reckon it almost arrived home before he did. I got a lovely letter back from him, two lottery lucky dip tickets (sadly, neither winners), and a donation to the RNLI as I had requested. (As in "I don't want any money, but if you must ...)

Karma, or whatever you call it, but the next day I took Di and her daughter and kiddies to Gaydon. The kids loved it, especially on the way out when we stopped at the go-kart track on the exit road and let them have a go. I didn't have a ticket, and wasn't about to go all the way back to the Heritage Centre to get one, and I must have looked very disappointed, as the bloke in charge waited until the kids were well under way and then said to me "you can have a go if you like". Cracking fun - I regarded that as my reward for the good deed of the previous day.

The mobile was light blue, a basic Nokia, and a bit too girly for me anyway. :-)

Reply to
Rich B

Some friends of mine found one that a BT engineer had left behind, on it were some, err, somewhat explicit video clips of a woman doing all sorts of things, with the engineer's voice egging her on. While they were laughing their socks off at the clips, the phone rang and an identifying picture of the woman came up on the screen, an incoming call from her number... They didn't tell me what happened next, they were too busy falling about laughing to finish the story.

They did make more of a show of telling the story than I just did though, I've condensed it all somewhat..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hehe - one of those situations you just *wish* had happened to you.

Reply to
Rich B

And little if any Ebay fee. Standard procedure, they must save heap$- I wonder why Ebay hasn't cottoned on & put a stop to it?

Reply to
wavemechanic