S3 chassis preservation

Hi, Albert's chassis is in very good condition for a 23 year old landie! It has been treated in the past with some kind of 'zeibart' type of treatment. It's starting to come off leaving bear metal with a bit of surface rust. I want to (in slightly warmer weather) strip as much of the s**te off the chassis & treat it with some kind of rust inhibitor & then apply a full coat of 'shutz' etc.

Anyone got any suggestions regarding the surface rust treatment, bearing in mind I would really need to be spraying it on etc due to amount needed.

Cheers

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

I use a wire winch cable lubricant to inject into the chassis. It goes in like WD40 and dries leaving a waxy sticky film that is excellent. I can get the name of it if you like. Its cheaper than waxoil and better. For the outside i use a spray on stone chip underseal. The stuff that builds up to a thick layer that (later delaminates and traps water) is the death of many a chassis. Better a thin tough layer than 1/4 inch thick rubberry stuff.

All the Best

Jarvis

(1983 2.25 Petrol 'Rust free' Lightweight owner)

Reply to
Dave Brooks

Sounds good, please!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

Hi Nige, Your steering wheel's being posted tomorrow.. The coating of Shultz is not such a good idea as I have found that in the past the coating gets hard and then water gets in behind it and rots the chassis without you knowing it.. Best to use something like chassis black and keep an eye on it when you see it starting to get flaky give it a wire brushing and more paint, works for me and is easy to scrape off and maintain..

Rich

It has been treated in the past

leaving bear metal with a bit of

s**te off the chassis & treat

in mind I would really need to

Reply to
Rich

Will that treat the surface rust there now?

Cheers for the wheel etc!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

No it does not treat the rust and providing you give it a good sanding then a good coat of paint, I use red oxide etch primer, couple of coats via spray gun then a synthetic filler primer then the chassis black, and jobs done you can get quite small spray guns and don't have to mix up loads of paint, but normally once a year in the good weather :-) go round scrap off any loose paint or rusty bits and spray as above don't forget to do all round the rails not just the side bits you can see its normally the bits you cant be bothered to get to that rot out and then give you loads of problems as they are hard to get to plate up etc: and the rust does not seem to get back through it !!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I use Bonda Prima for treating rusty steel. It's made by Bondaglass-Voss (020 8778 0071). Quite unlike any other red oxide primer in that it actually kills the rust. Only downside is that it sheds cellulose top coats, which is not a problem on my, formerly rusty, trailer. I think that you can top coat it with Hammerite.

I'd also use Dinitrol 3125 for the box sections. More expensive than Waxoyl but it has the advantage of working. I bought it from Mr Grumpy's somewhere near Sheffield having seen an ad in Practical Wrecks or somesuch mag. A search for it will reveal lots of references to it on classic car sites.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Cheers chaps!