Sad day

So I ordered a new Nissan X-Trail today......... Am I pleased? - No.......

I've driven my Discovery from new in june 96 - two breakdowns in 143,00 miles........ Fully serviced and on it's second book........

before that was a Range Rover, before that was another Range Rover, there was the 2A 88 back in '81 there was the S3 Safari with the FX4 taxi engine back in '78

I hate what I've had to do - but the L3 is too expensive - the Freelander compares badly on my own road tests and surveys......... So all the kit back on the Disco - the £560 quid bike rack, the extra roof rack - for what? £3k as a trade in........

A sad, sad day...............

Larry Shaw

In message , Larry Shaw writes

I would have gone for a year old Disco II

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:52:09 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

I was thinking along those lines meself...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Marc Draper composed the following;:

ditto .. or kept it anyway ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Looked at that option - but still 30mpg and poor performance.... (almost went the freelander route though........) Hartwells prices etc put the 'cost to change' at around £20K for a Sll Disco on an 03 plate. The japcrap 'cost to change' works out at £17K and I get all the toys....

But I know what you are saying ;)

Reply to
Larry Shaw

In message , Larry Shaw writes

30 mpg is very good considering weight and size etc. Not much point looking at a decent 4x4 if you are worried about 30 mpg

But then again you will really struggle to get 30 from a Td5. 25 is more realistic.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:08:26 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

I've managed to get far less than 30 from the 300 TDi. Admittedly, it was by thrashing it up the M6 at about 85-90.

in normal pootling around it does about that.

Looking at overall costs, though... just had to replace a water pump: about

30 quid. Ball joint for the drag link on order, about 4.5 quid.

It did have to have a vacuum pump, which was 109, but then I bet so are everyone else's vacuum pumps.

basic dampers are about 20 quid a pair, springs not much more. Tyres tend to be a bit pricier than car tyres, admittedly. Insurance isn't too high.

Also, in the main, the parts are available for 10, 15, 20 year old motors. Bet it's fun getting parts for a 20-y-o nissan.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I only get 29mpg from my fiat bravo 1.4. looking at getting a 300tdi, comparing both vehicles mpg i'd rather have a land rover any day. Just got to find a decent one now.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

On or around Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:38:40 -0000, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

there are plenty of TDis about. The later you can find, the better. Main bugbears are rear floor area corrosion and gearbox output shaft wear. 'most anything else is easily-fixed.

the former requires careful examination under the carpets in the back - you'll need a pozidriv #2 screwdriver to get the strip off the back edge to lift 'em. The latter is evidenced by excessive clunks from the transmission when going from forward to reverse and/or when changing gear, also if you come on and off the loud pedal abruptly in say 3rd gear. Budget about a grand to repair it, or looking at it another way, look to get a grand off the price. 's not the end of the world, if the vehicle is otherwsie good and the price is suitable.

rear floor is anything from about 400 quid upwards, depending on how much of the silly faffy stripping of carpets etc. you do yourself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bought one for my 2.5D and it cost £10 (second hand but from a landrover shop). Does the 300tdi use a much more complicated one?

I thought it was pretty much the same block?

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:40:29 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

not in that respect. The 200 TDi and 300 TDi have totally different vacuum pumps. dunno if either is the same as for the NAD.

Reply to
Austin Shackles