sae 15/50w

Hi Gang. Just quick bit of info needed. I was just going to check a Vacuum pump on my 2286cc diesel engine. In Haynes it mentions to use sae

15/50w. I cannot seem to find this oil is there an alternative.
Reply to
John Oakes

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:47:34 +0000, John Oakes enlightened us thusly:

it is available, though, just about.

what for, anyway?

If it's for some kind of leak test, then you might be able to substitute thinner oil and take account of the fact that it leaks faster.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello Austin. Haynes mention for topping up the vacuum pump if needed. Problem is, if this does I do have this oil. that why I asked for alternative version.

Reply to
John Oakes

John, the Halfrauds own brand oils have a 15W50, it's the plain red container, has wording to the effect of "for basic engines" on the side. It's a very good quality oil, been using it for some time now myself.

Reply to
Badger

I will check this out.

Reply to
John Oakes

I can't remember why you would want to do this but can assure you that

15w/40 would do the job just as well.

Huw

Reply to
Huw