Screaming bearing

Hi,

I've recently acquired my first landrover, a 1991 110 CSW and am loving it! It seems to be going pretty well but there is a screaming/rattling bearing that I'm trying to find.

The noise only occures when cold and wet. It usually goes away after warming up but it's getting worse so I'd like to find it before it disintigrates.

The previous owner said it was the clutch release bearing, but the noise doesn't change when the clutch is depressed. The noise is constant with road speed.

I had a look under it this evening and found a loose thing on the transfer box behind the flange for the front prop shaft. From the manual it seems to be a mud shield for the front output bearing and is (or rather should be) pressed into the casing.

As this shield rattling about, how is supposed to be fixed in position? With this shield loose, is it likely that water ingress is knackering the output bearing and making it scream? I haven't checked gear/transfer oil levels yet.

Any other ideas what it could be as I can't really diagnose from inside the cab at 30mph.

Been lurking here for a while. Thanks for a great NG!

Grom

1991 200tdi 110 CSW.
Reply to
Gromit

Hmm. Cold & wet. I'd be tempted to have a quick look at the drive belts for your alternator and power steering pump as these are classic items to scream at you if they aren't at the right tension or are old when it's cold/wet on any car.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege