security

I have been thinking about how best to secure my new aquisition

Obviosly a fancy all singing dancing alarm and immobiliser system would not be appropriate for something of that vintage without securable windows and central locking,

Mind you I might put a simple alarm in, one that goes off by accident every so often so the T leaves know it has one and keep there paws away

I was reckoning a good solid wheel clamp like the professionals use might be a good idea, and a set of locking wheel nuts

I think looking at it the greatest danger will be people assuming it has been abandoned :)

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

Something visible and hard to remove.

Wheel clamps stop the thing being towed away, they'd need a crane. Locking wheelnuts aren't a bad idea either. Any form of clamp which goes over the steering wheel, handbrake/gearlever or pedals is probably the easiest security device as it can be fitted and removed inside the vehicle rather than getting soaked/frozen/dirty[1] fitting something to the wheels.

[1] but you're a rufty tufty 4x4 owner so it's not really a problem.
Reply to
PDannyD

Somewhere in my collection of odds and ends I have a simple wiring diagram for a "hidden" ignition system.

The circuit consists of three 12v relays and 3 reed switches, which, when operated in the correct sequence, start the vehicle. The circuitry is simple and the relays could be mounted anywhere, only the reed switches have to be mounted in a convinient space.

The system works by removing the connections from the standard key ignition switch and replacing its function with the 12v relays. The relays are operated by placing a magnet in close proximity to the reed switches. Therefore you need to mount the reeds behind a non-metallic area of the dash and carry a magnet on your key-chain to operate them.

In the original project, the designer had a magnet mounted in one of those rings that used to be popular (many moons ago), the ones with a pound coin set into them.

This is probably a bit unsophisticated by todays standards, but it makes for an interesting project and will certainly confuse any potential car thief.

If anyone is interested in the circuit, I will post it here.

Regards Martyn Cottrell

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

Martyn, I'm more than interested in the circuit. Can you mail it to me? regards Fred

"Martyn Cottrell" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.meganetnews.com...

Reply to
Fred Huge

Martyn, leave the -NOSPAM out to send me mail (including the minus sign) Fred "Fred Huge" schreef in bericht news:3f5a039c$0$34877$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl...

Reply to
Fred Huge

If its parked up for a while removing the rotor arm does the job! Mind you someone tried to nick my IIa, ripped the dash apart to jumpped the ignition but failed to notice the starter button!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

In article , snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com (Larry) growled:

Wheel clamps and the various boots and other devices for the steering wheel, accelerator etc always seem to me like a pain to use and in mean we're admitting the little f*ckers have won.

To my mind the answer is electrical. I like Martyn's idea using magnets and reed switches. In the past I've used an even simpler system, either a hidden switch or a mislabelled switch which switches to LT side of the coil. So if the perps succeed in hot wiring your truck it cranks, but it won't fire. So they fiddle with the choke, and it still won't start, and all the time they're worried that someone's going to come out and now they think they're flooded it. It's an old car after all, it's hard to start. And so they give up and go somewhere else. Never thinking that all they needed to do was turn on that fog light switch first.

Always a danger ;-)

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Yup i'm a big fan of this one!

Do all my motors with it and i must say it works great! I've even had them pushing the car down the road trying to bump start it. The down side of the system is the damange thats left after, i would definately remove the locking mech of the steering lock to save damange to steering column!

Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

But I don't want them getting close enough to even have a go at hot wiring it, something big and obvios on the outside gives them the message, come back with a truck and a crane.

You have to understand the pyscology of the average T Leaf. Back in the days when I used to have a bike and a shed to keep it in, I had a fancy lockable hasp. The idiots buggered it up trying to pick the lock with something like a screwdriver so I had to break in myself, using a hacksaw, which took no time at all. I lernt something that day.

The point is also without something physical to stop them they are quite likely to tow it away, possibly with one they have stolen erlier.

An electrical immobiliser would do for parking away from home, but outside my home at night I don't think a wheelclamp would be too much trouble.

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

Some peoples use also a hidden swicth, but on the petrol pump. The car starts, runs a few yard and then stops definitely : the guy think "bad car" and try elsewhere. And you have a good opportunity to mada a litle footing next morning ;-)

Reply to
Michel Wurtz

in some landies, you'llk get wetter and colder sitting in the car than out!

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

yes, i think a hidden switch on the coils or petrol pump, or a valve on the fuel line is the best idea. it gives the thieves a sense of achievement when they get the starter motor to work, but when the engine doesn't fire they probably suspect the cars buggered and will hastily leave the area. maybe i'm just being optimistic though.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:14:15 +0100, "Larry" spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

As I'm re-wiring my Landy for the engine conversion I'm doing, I'm just fitting a bttery isolator to the main power feed:-)

No juce to anything unless the key is put in the isolator

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

I think I like the idea of a hidden switch to the petrol pump best as an intelligent thief may well figure out if the ignition is not firing that there is switch somewhere, particularly if he is an ace at hot wiring.

I think I have a small key operated switch somewhere which might be even better. I'm going to study those wiring diagrams when I get it home.

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

Dan, you might like to consider a "BatteryBrain". I seriously thought about getting one of these some time ago, as I was having trouble with the charging system and my battery kept going flat. The only problem for me is that I would also have to fit an alternate power supply to keep all the settings safe in the RRs computer gadgetry.

Having left the lights on recently in Safeway's car park, I think I'm going to have another serious look at this myself.

Go to:

Regards Martyn Cottrell

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:07:43 GMT, Martyn Cottrell spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

Just had a look at the website, seems a good bit of kit, for maybe a modern car, but my S3 doesn't have anything powered from the main batteries, so the big isolator switch will do the trick, as no power to turn engine, no power to fuel cut-off switch on the injection pump, hence no go landy:-)

Radio memory, etc are OK, as radios (Amature TX/RX and FM/CD tuner) powered from another battery mounted else were:-)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

Okay Fred, here's the diagram......well sort of. I could have sworn I had it somewhere but I've hunted high and low without success. It must have disappeared with our last house move (6 in the past 4 years).

So I've recreated it from memory, if you aren't sure, get someone with electrical experience to check it over first. Also, mount the reeds a reasonable distance apart to prevent you accidently actuating the wrong switch.

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

That solution works well. I had such a system on an old 4x4 County Transit. A friend of mine, who borrowed it quite frequently, forgot all about the switch (on the dash straight in front of him) one day. It took the very, very nice AA man over two hours to work it out :-)

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons

I have a friend who welds trawlers for a living - his non-patented but very effective immobiliser which he supplies to colleagues (and his brother's 90) is to weld, or otherwise fit, a 'kin great eye bolt under the driver's seat or in the footwell. This is then augmented with a length of serious chain (significantly bigger than the average motorbike security chain), and a very large padlock, around the steering wheel. Perhaps not Thatcham approved but not beaten yet!

Reply to
Bob Miller