Seemingly OT but Probably Some Takers

After reading this excellent newsgroup for a year or so, I don't feel too off-topic to invite some of you to return to the "Golden Age",

1955-1975, of British stock-car racing. My website is

If you like ingenuity, skinned knuckles (and not only from slipping spanners --), a bit of dirt, and lots of spirit and humour, you may enjoy some of the tall tales and larger than life characters who raced back then. Well over 200 photographs. A few Land Rovers operated as tow vehicles, but as far as I know the truly stupendous LR chassis never appeared under a stock-car ---- why on earth not?

Have a look.

Reply to
brafield

Not sure what's off topic in this group ;-)

My cousin built a T-Bucket back when I were a lad, unusually it had a straight six in it, still made the cover of a popular mag of the time. It took him weeks to buff the breast-prints off the brass from the model they bought in.. I fancy making a T-Bucket with Unimog axles for off-road trialling, now there's a thought.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There was a Brighton firm owned by Geoff Jago that sold T bucket kits

--- . Geoff himself had an amazing Ford Pop pickup that nobody would ever recognize as a Pop --- slathered in multicoloured metalflake and white fake leather -- what you'd call "overdone"!

Me, I love straight-sixes, always have, run forever and sound great.

Reply to
brafield

As you say, not a lot is off topic for us.

My dream was always to have a Lotus Super Seven ... I was told it wasn't a proper car for a young lady to drive. So I went & bought a Series 11a instead, never been sure if that was a good move or not :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

A good move, but since the IIA and the Super Seven have so much in common, you should go ahead and make the pair, and really upset those advisers of yours!

Reply to
brafield

And it's NZ counterpart

EMB

"EMB": thank you very much for that link. A great site and source. Looking at those faces (and the ones on my site), I realize they are a generation that won't occur again: tough-spirited do-it-yourselfers, no fancy airs, big hearts -- they would lend you all their tackle in the pits and then happily put you in the fence, and share a beer afterwards!

Reply to
brafield

Also have a look at

for the current goings on in the NZ stockcar world - there will be news of some of the UK drivers there from their brief visit here a couple of months ago. The NZ stockcar scene is still very much a 'look after each other' sport - I haven't raced for a couple of seasons but still crew for a car when time allows.

Reply to
EMB