Honda CV Joint Mystery....any takers?

Hey group, you're awesome...glad we got that out of the way quickly...

My old 88 Honda has served me well, but it needed a replaced CV Joint, which had a torn boot on it, yet it wasn't clicking on turns yet. Instead, what the annoyance was, was that over bumps I would get a "thunking" sound like the sound of two metal parts covered with grease bumping each other underneath the car. I figured it was part of the CV (drivers side) problem, so I replaced it (a good plan with a torn CV boot, and only $25 for cheap part). Well, the clunk is still there, and it seems to come from that same area, the drivers side shaft...I am wondering if it has to do with the transaxle housing??? I had the bolts tightened REALLY good (torqued) so the strut shouldn't be moving, unless when I lowered the vehicle from the jack, the bolt would need even MORE tightening, but given the amount of pressure given to tighten the bolt, it seems unlikely. So, I don't know what would make that noise...any takers?

Reply to
TommyK

JimV

I'm no mechanic but what I'd do to try to pinpoint the noise is ...

- open hood

- stand on bumper

- jump up and down with enthusiasm and spirit

Also, another way of diagnosing CV problems is to take the car to a parking lot and drive slowly in the smallest circle you can, in both directions, listening for noise.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Could be the transaxle mount. Pry between the transaxle and it's mount. If more than 3/4" play, replace the mount.

Reply to
Martik

Ball joint?

Reply to