Self installl Eberspacher Pre-Heater?

Hi,

I've been offered a petrol pre-heater which I want to install into my Land Rover 90 V8 CSW. Eberspacher say its not an installaton that can be done at home but I so far fail to see whats so complicated about it. Has anyone had any experience of installing such an item or any opinions?

Its a B5W if that makes a differnece and came from a Range Rover.

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon Rose

If you have the time and inclination then it's no problem. I suppose they get a little twitchy being as it could be a bomb if not installed correctly.

There are manuals available , if you need one just shout.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

yeah thats what I thought (CYOA!). A manual would be excellent if I can have a look through b4 I buy. Is it emailable? Even one for a differnet model would be a good start.

Thanks

Simon "Lee_D"

Reply to
Simon Rose

has lost of interesting 101 related info and will be the sort of site your looking for.

I've also got a few piccys of my set up in Morph which was fitted by Marshalls many years ago...it may give you an idea of what all the various bit's and bobs look like. Visualising the parts is half the battle.. They are.....

then click on the Morph before link to get the photos.

regards

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

hmmm close... Mine is the coolant heater rather than air heater but the principals are the same. Thanks for the manual - better brush up on my German.

If anyone has any info on the coolant versino I'd like to look at that too.

Thanks

Simon "Lee_D"

Reply to
Simon Rose

If anyone has any info on the coolant versino I'd like to look at that too.

If you go the the Eberspacher main site they have lots of manuals available as pdf files, not sure is there is anything specific to your application but it's worth a look.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

"Simon Rose" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@despina.uk.clara.net:

The tricky part is getting a continuous supply of fuel....most of these heaters have their own half-hour tank, some also keep on sucking from the maintank while burning....but that requires tapping into the main fuel line, not the return line (applies only to diesels I guess), as the return line often ends above fluid level in the tank.

Make sure the heater pumps the fluid in the same direction as the engine does when running, and that the heat goes to interior first, engine second (otherwise you miss out on the largest benefit: no more ice on your windows, and snow that can be wiped off in a split-second)

Does it come with a 30 minute timer? If you're good in electronics (5V stuff), you can try a bypass for continuous operation (you need a 12v->5v converter for that, to take over the 5v signal, and an extra 'kill' button, otherwise it runs forever). Large vehicles (volume & glass surface) need 60 minutes anyway for a good de-icing and engine-heating. (the timers from Webasto come in both 30m and 60m version, the latter also with a summer-mode, in which it only switches the interior fan....which reminds me of another tricky part: powering the interior fan, with key- out....some fan's are switched ground/ground with key out, so you can't just put the heater's +12V onto the original +12v of the fan (unless a short is your goal....:)) (some, including me, believe that this is done to prevent a generator- effect when parked in strong winds)

Also keep in mind that it takes even a pro-shop (dealing with these heaters regularly) nearly a day in labor....

And don't forget to route the exhaust of that thing to a safe place (not close to a tire for example....8-)). (get stainless steel components for that part, and use copper-grease, as the temperature difference will create rust very quickly, and you never get those bolts & screws undone later)

Here some more/general notes about coolant heaters:

Willem-Jan Markerink