Caught Speeding Delivering Transplant Organs

Remember the poor ambulance driver who is being taken to court for speeding whilst delivering organs for transplant? Well if you'd care to show your support, you can do by following the link below.

Apologies if this one's been done already.

Ttfn

Nigel Whatever your politics or religion, at the end of the day, it's still night.

Reply to
Flewolfece

Was it on a motorway, "dangerous" A road, or built-up area?

There are situations where speeding is not acceptable, by anyone.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Motorway, A1 i think, and in the middle of the night IIRC - it was definately very quiet.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Flewolfece raved thus:

:: Remember the poor ambulance driver who is being taken to court for :: speeding whilst delivering organs for transplant? Well if you'd care :: to show your support, you can do by following the link below. :: ::

Online petitions are a waste of time IMHO. You need real signatures for a petition, not email addresses. I'll still 'sign' it, but the authorities have a good excuse to ignore it.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

IIRC it was on the A1, early hours in the morning, and only 104Mph, in a Vectra. I've driven a vectra at an indicated 145mph, and they are a safe, stable, capable car. Annoys the hell out of me this kind of thing.

If you want to see bureaucracy at its best see this one

Tim S Kemp

Seems a bit harsh then.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Meaning...?

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

I wonder if police cars have to fill out the same form proving that they were on a 999 call when speeding/jumping red lights?

Reply to
Carl Farrington

One law for all.

Mike.

Reply to
R1-Mike

Wasn't it 104mph on dual carriageway A1 at 3am in the morning.

The amusing thing is that a friend of ours was absolutely disgusted at this speed, saying it was totally unacceptable.

This was one week after he was quite happy doing 40mph in a built up 30mph zone.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Fuck him, he wasn't in an ambulance. He was speeding in a private vehicle and illegally using blue lights. He got caught, end of story.

Not that I don't have sympathy for him, it's a pretty shitty thing for them to do, but he obviously knew the risks and the 'but we always do it' crap isn't really much of an excuse.

Reply to
Lordy

Yup, even my old Cav V6 sat at 140 like it was just doing 70. In comparison to the turbo, which sits at 70 like it's doing 140 :)

Reply to
Lordy

Indeed - a mate of mine's recently bought a 2.6 Carlton (saloon) and whilst it's no rocketship off the line, it's very happy sitting on the motorway at

120-130mph.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Did he OWN the car? NO. So how can you say it wasn't an "official" vehicle, on an "official" "mission of mercy"?

"Black Ops" don't exist in "civvy street" Pillock!

Reply to
Flewolfece

esp as ambulance purposes do not require the use of an ambulance, something which is forgotten by people who can't read legislation properly

it was not a private vehicle it was a 'company' vehicle as such belonging to / leased to an NHS trust

the use of blues was legal , however the claiming of exemptions is under debate

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

Obviously it does, the Police seem to think so.

See above.

Like f*ck is it.

"The GMB does not endorse abuse of blue lights and excessive speeds. But we are concerned that this action has serious consequences for this man?s career"

That is a quote from the GMB themselves on the link that was given at the start of this thread. That clearly states that he was not authorised to be using blue lights.

A lot of people say the same about you...

So you're saying the GMB themselves are liars.

And you reckon *I'm* a retard :)

Reply to
Lordy

So why are the second Police force still interested in prosecuting him... ?

No, and nor do blanket exemptions to commit whatever crime you want.

Reply to
Lordy

I tell you what, seeing as you can read so "properly", have a go with this little quote and see if you can comprehend what it means;

"As the law currently stands, there is no exemption from speed limits for the carriage of blood and human organs. This was specifically excluded from the legislation by those writing the law."

HTH

-- Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Then obviously the law needs changing, along with many many others.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm not denying otherwise, clearly it does. Hopefully the decisions that are made in the progress of this case may go some way towards changing that, if only by the means of case law.

People here just seem to be under a few mis-conceptions as to what is actually currently legal and what isn't. The driver in question committed a crime hoping that on the slim offchance he got caught that they would just get 'let off the hook' because it was such an important journey. I agree completely with that decision, I would do the same thing myself. And one of the Police forces involved clearly agreed it was an important enough not to prosecute as well.

There is a clear difference between being 'let off the hook' and acting lawfully. He was just unlucky to get caught by two Policeforces, and that one of them was unfortunately not willing to overlook his crime.

Reply to
Lordy