40 years of the Ford Transit...

I know the Ford V4 and York engines weren't the best designed units but are they really this bad?...
<quote> Peter Evans from the Highways Agency said:
"Drivers are advised that some of the vans may be travelling slowly as some of them date back as far as 1965." </quote>
From the BBC news web site;
' Transit's 40th birthday journey.' Forty years of 'white van man' are being celebrated on Sunday by a convoy of vehicles travelling from Essex, via Kent, to Southampton.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4688657.stm
Perhaps there are a few original digital diesels attending? I remember those were extremely noisy and rather slow and not a little scary! - otherwise I expect it's probably some youngster being patronising (i.e anything before 1985 ought to be towed!)
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Think every petrol Transit ever made can cruise at 70.
--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

Perhaps can should be repalced with could steve the grease
London SW

Did anyone see Top Gear where the German test driver took a Deisel Transit around the Nurburg ring? Apparently, it literally wasnt that far off the pace of a Jaguar Xtype they used on another show. Cant remember the figures, but it averaged something like 95mph?
Jono
London SW

they
11 seconds faster IIRC. 9.59secs for the Jag, 10.8 for the Transit with all unnecessary weight removed, but the transit was being driven by Sabine, one of the circuit 'taxi' drivers, and the Jag, a diesel BTW, was driven by Jeremy Clarkson. I seem to recall that Sabine knocked about half a minute off JC's time, when she drove the Jag. Mike.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:08:26 +0100, "Barspeed1975"

Test driver? Nope, you misheard that Sabine Schmitz is a TAXI driver. http://www.jwhubbers.nl/ring/sabine/index.php The TAXI costs more to run in brake pad, tyres, and new suspension than it collects in fares - BMW foot the bill.

S-type diesel.

Target was 10min which would be about 75mph.
Wasn't bothered about speed at Nrburgring, it's lap time that counts. JC had taken the Diesel S-Type over, set a target of 10min and did lots of laps to get a 9min 59sec lap. Sabine took it out without having driven the car before and went round in 9min 12sec. Then bragged she could drive a van round quicker than JC had driven the X-type!
http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/Clarkson_135/01 /
So Richard took a Diesel Transit over in the hope of rubbing a bit of salt in JC wounds. First lap was about 10 1/2min. So they threw Richard out of the cab, threw his seat out too, followed by the spare wheel and anything else that could out come easily, then taped up all the panel joints on the front to reduce drag. Found a super car for her to slipstream. She bounced up and down in the seat giving the Transit lots of encouragement and shouted at people to get out off her way but to no avail, she did it in 10min 8secs, said she was scared and had done her best.
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Robert

No, they're _much_ worse.
There just aren't the words to describe how appallingly bad either of those engines was.

units
of
But neither were so slow that they needed yellow flashing lights protecting them....

If its the same unit that's fitted to Saab 96 v4s (the german built v4), then it seems a fine powerplant and sounds great. Maybe its down to the application?
cc204.lut.ac.uk:

Just seems a little small for use in a van the size of a Transit.
I agree it was a fine powerplant (also used in Corsair). Inherant imbalance of a V4 meant they had to fit balancer shafts so it was very smooth.
Rich
--
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.

Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I don't think it was the same engine.
The Saab/Corsair lump was 1.7, the Tranny/Capri lump was 2.0.
Not in itself damning proof, but IIRC they were different. This would tend to agree :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_engines
I think the two engines are the same, just minor differances, obviously one being capacity.
gurgled happily,

Which two engines?

Probably the ones mentioned in the post he quoted.
But it would have been better to post below the quote.
Rich
--
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.

Yeah but the Capri never had a V4. You had the Transit V4 1700 and the Corsair Deluxe V4 1700, then you had a 2litre Transit but you also had the Corsair 2000E, which had a larger V4 engine. Transits from about 1970 had a Pinto engine, which would be available in 1600 and 2000 forms and then you had the Deisel with the piggy snout.

(sighs)
http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/1309 /
Some did, and it was a bad thing by all I've heard.
--
Andy Breen ~ Speaking for myself, not the University of Wales
"your suggestion rates at four monkeys for six weeks"

[ Context snipped due to top posting ]

<snip>
Did it not? You seem to know as much about the use of the Ford V4 engine as you know how to post correctly...