Series 2A Fairey Overdrive

Can any body tell me why my series 2A Fairey Over Drive is so noisy, I am assuming the noise is coming from the Over Drive but not completely sure, I admit that I am not a mechanic and this has beaten me so far.

Reply to
Rosscoe

G'day Rosscoe,

Depends what you call noisy - if you're new to Series, well they are noisy anyway. There are an awful lot of gears meshing, and they all make lots of noise. I had a Fairey overdrive in my series for years & it was never noisy, compared to the main box or the transfer box. I had to remove it 'cos I needed the outlet for the rear PTO.

Can you give us a little more information?

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Could be low on oil but "noisy" is a bit vague. Has it recently become much more noisy than before?

If there's a knowledgeable Land Rover enthusiast nearby perhaps you could give them a lift and see what they think.

Reply to
PDannyD

Try thicker oil and a banana skin, and sell it quickly.

Or check that it has oil - its not part of the gearbox.

Or pull off the rear cover and check that the castellated nut has not worked loose.

Or see my first suggestion.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks people for the reply, I took the advice and had some one who knows

Reply to
Rosscoe