Series Alternator.

G'day all.

i have a 2.6 litre 6 cylinder series 3, and glossing over an old brochure i just recieved i noticed this line "Alternator: 15 ACR."

Am i right in thinking that this means it is a 15 amp alternator?? now in anyones books, this is pathetic. so of course i am thinking (this is were you guys come in), how easy is it to chuck a different alternator in. as long as I can get it to stay put, and use the appropriate voltage regulator there shouldn't be any probs right??

Just after any info from people who may have put a non-standard alternator into there series rover.

Thanks.

Reply to
Samuel

15ACR is the Lucas model number. IIRC they are about 30 amp output and when the smoke hasn't escaped they're not too bad a unit. If you want more output (and assuming from your email address you're based in Oz) it's probably easiest to grab a Bosch alternator (Commodore, Falcon, or buy brand new from somewhere like
and fabricate a bracket to suit - they're not hard to make fit and are (again IIRC) at least 55 amps and easily found up to 80 amp. I've got a 80 amp Bosch on my Holden powered Series IIa and it keeps up with winching quite happily.
Reply to
EMB

15 ACR is the model nimber - it's a 45amp alternator as far as I recall

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd