Sherpa engine/gearbox mounts

I have a Series 2 with a 2.5L sherpa diesel, fitted by previous owner. The engine/transmission unit seems to be sloping down at the front, causing the alignment of the front prop shaft to be almost straight and the rear prop shaft to be so angled that the UJ knuckles bind as they try to rotate. But I can't see where the fault lies. The engine crank pulley seems reasonably centred on the hole in the front of the chassis, but when I look through the hole in the rear cross member the back of the overdrive is visibly above centre, too high. Maybe it has the wrong gearbox mounts? there is about 1.5 inches (35mm) clearance between gearbox and gearbox crossmember is this excessive? What else could be wrong?

Flumoxed John

Reply to
Oilierthanthou

I've got the same engine as you. As far as ive ever noticed mine seems to sit normally (i.e. straight). Mine has standard landrover gearbox rubber mounts on it. Next time i go outside i'll look at the height of the gearbox, and if my crank pulley lines up or not. It could be your engine mounts that are causing the slantyness and mine is mounted slightly higher, since the sherpa uses adaptors and the ones your previous owner used may differ from mine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Tom I think you've helped me out a couple of times before.

When you say the sherpa uses adapters, I'd assumed the sherpa block was the same as the Landrover block, and would use the standard Landrover mounts.? This maybe where the problem lies ! I've just been poking a digi. camera up between axle and sump to see if I can get a better view of the things. I'll try and upload some pics to the web tomorrow night. Cheers John

Reply to
Oilierthanthou

I might be lying, but i think that on atleast one side of the engine there is a little metal block that goes between the chassis mount and the engine. One that i dont recall seeing on any 2.25 engined landrovers. There is a 2.25 petrol in the drive too, so i will compare em

Reply to
Tom Woods

That sounds like what I've got on the off side. Can you tell if these are Landrover or Sherpa adapters?

these look anything like yours?I was beginning to think that the slanting engine may be just knackeredengine mounting rubbers, but the slope is so extreme that the prop shaftwon't go round! The gearbox mounts seem to have the opposite problem,the rubber is distorted upwards about half an inch..
There must be some incorrect parts in here somewhere, but I'm damned if I can see where. John

Reply to
Oilierthanthou