Who has the jag-engined series?

Who on here has the Series with a 4.2 jag lump in it? I'm gearing up for my project vehicle this winter, which will have a GM6 in it. I'm looking for details on the engine conversion.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Greetings for 'tis I the loon you seek :-)

Theres a bit of a diary of the conversion on my site at

, look in the projects section under Project Percy.... If you forget it just do a Google search on "Landrover Jaguar", seems the search engines found it ok :-).

Baically it's a XK 4.2 straight 6 with the EFi removed and Carbs fitted in place, it's mated to the origional BW66 gearbox from the Jaguar which is then fastened to the landrover SIIa transfer box with an Ashcroft conversion.

The lads at Landranger services said it couldn't be done.... Mr Ashcroft said it won't fit...technically he's 1/2 right..... Sadly I'm a little stubourn as I'd measured it all I knew it would fit.

The job 2 two years or so.... lots of restoration work to the bulkhead and replumbing the brakes, replaced the axles with stage 1 ones, servo etc etc...

Now then....About this 101...it could do with a little more oooomph......

if anyones got a simlar project of sorts on the go for there Landie then send me some pics and I'll stick 'em on the site.

Lee D

Lee_D

if anyone here ever spots a series I with a 2.4 Jag in it, I'd be interested to know what happened to it.

when I last saw it, it was an 86" hardtop, reg. JTX267.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Was it David who said that? If so, "technically he's 1/2 right" is generally a good comment I reckon :-)

How about a jet - similar to the one used on the draggie to torch the caravan on Top Gear?

Reply to
Mother

Talking about conversions, since the general view is that the Merc Sprinter vans go like Snot off a greased stick, has anybody thought of/tried to transplant on of those engines into a Landy ??.

AndyP

Reply to
andy.pevy

I can confirm that they go like stink...indeed you should still be able to find the clench marks on the dashboard of the one I got out of about 45 minutes ago.... And thats a LWB fully loaded with lots of technology / equipment.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Hmm. It's the ashcroft convsersion I'm interested in. I'm still not decided wether to fit the GM box,and a conversion or mate the engine to the original LR box.

I'm presuming that you got the BW66 conversion directly from ashcroft. However, the price is a little expensive, especially as I will have to get a custom one made to fit a GM 5spd manual. It looks like I'll have to be using the original IIa box.

How much longer is the BW66 gearbox than the original series? I know the propshaft on the rear is pretty short in standard form, did you shorten it any further? Bearing in mind I will probably have to move the rear axle forward by 4-6 inches.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

With an engine of this size and as strong as the IIa boxes are I'd suggest forgetting trying it on a series box.

H'mmm I can't recall but I can say that a BW66 in itsself is incredibly short, I dare say shorter than the series box. I have a few spare boxes both series and jag over at my Dads and will measure them up and maybe if I think on take a few photos of them if I remember on.

The BW65 from the SD1 Rover V8 Auto is the same box but with shorter output shaft. Ashcroft kit is intended to afford the BW66 to be attached to a V8 then Series transferbox.

To fit the kit the output shaft housing and rear prop shaft output is removed from the BW66. A gear is then drifted on to the rear output from the BW66 and the transferbox complete with it's adapter (it's self around 4 or so inches in length) is then bolted up.

Percy's rear propshaft is between 12" to 18 " in length. The transferbox is fitted around 4 inches further back than normally (when doing the V8 this isn't an issue!) Hence my front prop is longer and would have fouled not only the crossmember below the bellhousing but also the Jags Humungous sump. To get around this literally I have used a center bearing which affords a slight dogs leg in the front prop (i.e. there are two props joined in the middle supported by a bearing mounted on the bell housing crossmember). The front axle has fwh's fitted so the front prop rarely sees any action ( about 4 times since October 2002) and I have had no issuse this far with either prop.

Give Ahscrofts a ring if they can't help then consider fiting a remote transferbox which would allow you to use whatever gearbox you can mate to the engine your using. I think some of the Jap 4X4's have remote transferboxes which you may be able to just slip in there.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

I used to drive one when I was "de-stressing", it was good for 120, as I found on on the one occasion I tried it. (road empty 4am in the morning). The new ones have been de-tuned and limited because they are supposedly able to do over 150, how true that is I dont know. Acceleration is stupidly quick, even when fully loaded (a LWB fully loaded has MGW of 3.5 tonnes) and even then it would beat the Kevins in their Novas and RS Turbos.

The engine is very nice 5 cylinder diesel, and is meant to be able to do

20,000 between services. No wonder white van man loves them. I think I was a rare breed though, I never found another WVM who listened to R2 and 4 and read the Telegraph. Most were R1 and the Sun or Sport......

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I was thinking about using one, at the time my brother drove one for someone and he wrote it off - rather convenaintly- the bloke didn't bother having it mended, money and time and that sort of stuff, i bought the whole thing but ended up selling it on.

I was thinking about getting a 101 and the sprinter engine is at the top of the engine list, the one draw back is the sprinter only did about 25 to the gallon..

-- richard

Reply to
richard

The engine is a 3.0 12v Injection, about 190Bhp max. I believe the v8 is about 200 in standard carb form (low comp). If I do blow the box I'll have to look at fitting a rangie/defender one.

Yes I may have to look at a centre bearing for the rear prop, to get to the third axle over the top of the middle one. However, with moving the engine back to 4 ins accomodate a 6-pot, lengthining the gearbox by 4ins for the conversion, and moving the rear axle 4-6in forward, it looks like I'll end up with a 6" rear propshaft.......

I think I'll make it up as I go along!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Blimey you can't have economy like that anywhere near 101...people will talk!

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Bruce only reads our local paper, listens to radion 1,2 and 4, and until he discovered Land Rovers had Mercedes vans - always white. A 608D when we used to do markets, 507D - band van which carried all the PA as well as the band and anyone else that could fit in, several 307D, that last one being a freezer van with a Hubbard frezzer(failed MOT in 1998)thing on the top which he still owns, but has a terminal case of body rot, which he is currently using as extra storage space for the doors, windows and othe bits that he's saved from jobs. It starts every time he's tried it and it has just been moved back onto the front so that he can drive the series 3 into the workshop and remove tha manifold and refit a new one and exhaust. He is sure he'll find a use for the engine one day.

Reply to
Nikki