Shocks

All,

I think my defender 110 needs new shocks (the wheels tend to bounce a lot when I drive fast (!) on bumps created, e.g., by manhole covers, or the like).

What do people recommend in terms of replacements. Should I go for the original ones, or non LR ones? If the latter, which one, where from?

Many thanks for any advise.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Fred:

Make sure they are tight. I noticed my fronts doing the same thing. I tightened the bolts securing them and now all is well.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

I probably should have added that it's for a TD5.

I'm very surprised to see that nobody has anything to say about such a topic though... ;-)

Looking on the Web, I found loads of different makes from prices ranging from about =A318 to =A365. Some are gas, some are not (oil?) but I'm not sure what this means in terms of being efficient at what they are supposed to be doing.

Again, any advise will be received very gratefully.

TIA,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

ok - here goes! Doubtless this will generate some replies.....

The "usual suspects" suppliers will most likely be selling Armstrong or Whitehead shocks as "pattern" oil filled replacements. Both are perfectly good, though they may not quite last as long as the originals. You pays your money and makes your choice I suppose.

As for gas vs. oil - well, first off, it should be borne in mind that, generally, people are fitting gas shocks to replace knackered oil ones, an it's no surprise that they are "much better". Gas shocks are fine as a replacement if that's what you want, but they are only "necessary" if you are going off road, at speed, for extended periods, i.e. in circumstances where it is possible that oil in standard shocks may boil, or least get hot enough to seep past/blow the seals.

So, unless you are going to enter a Comp. Safari or live in the Austrailian Outback or Sahara etc, I'd suggest that standard shocks are fine for 99% of users, either replacement or Genuine by your choice.

Tin helmet donned.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:29:57 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I've an idea the originals *are* Armstrong.

Reply to
Austin Shackles