Shortening front bumper and wings. Is it legal?

Advice please on chopping my SWB SIII.

Almost everytime I go offroading I seem bend my front bumper and crumple the bottom front corners of my front wings. I'm considering chopping the ends off the front bumper so it just spans the dumb irons and shortening the front wings so they look like those in this ebay pic:-

Question is, with the bumper and body chopped, is it road legal and would it pass an MOT?

Many thanks Peter Meed (1972 SIII SWB Petrol 2.25)

Pics at:

Peter Meed

48

In regard to the MOT it won't be a problem the MOT manual says "reason for rejection A sharp edge or projection, caused by corrosion or damage, which renders the vehicle dangerous to other road users including pedestrians" just make the edges safe

As for road legal I don't think it's a problem BICBW

a solution would be to make the sections in front of the wings removable

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

As long as there aren't any sharp edges protuding ie you don't just chop the bumper, you make sure the rounded edges are just moved inwards, and as long as the wheel arches extend over the wheels you'll be fine. Ie wide wheels poking out beyond the wheel arches, as you look down from the top

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In news:buhmf2$rd$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Peter Meed wrote: | Advice please on chopping my SWB SIII. | | Almost everytime I go offroading I seem bend my front bumper and | crumple the bottom front corners of my front wings. I'm considering | chopping the ends off the front bumper so it just spans the dumb | irons and shortening the front wings so they look like those in this | ebay pic:- | |

| 48 | | Question is, with the bumper and body chopped, is it road legal and | would it pass an MOT? | | Many thanks | Peter Meed (1972 SIII SWB Petrol 2.25) | | Pics at:
Can't comment on MOT and road legality, but if you are a member of an ARC affiliated club you might want to check what the scrutineers have to say if you take part in trials.

Can't find my copy of the book, but seem to recall something in there about having to retain the basic Land Rover shape.

One scrutineer objected to my 109" simply because one end of the bumper was pushed up and in (probably just like yours!) following burying it into a bank on a previous trial.

Claimed it gave me an unfair advantage.

Just something to think about.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

"Peter Meed" wrote

I can't imagine why not - see recent thread about the minimum requirements for an MoT. What you may be falling foul of are the Construction and Use Regulations, which do not form part of the MoT but are a legal requirement for driving on the road. Since it is damn near impossible to get hold of a copy of the C&UR (and believe me, I've tried when building the trialler) I can't help you on the details. Looking at the pic, however, it seems a pretty mild mod to make, and the shortened bumper shouldn't matter - many modern cars have nothing you could call a bumper anyway.

Just my opinion, and all that.

Rich RR 4.6 HSE Tiggrr 3.5 V8 trialler

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Trouble is, the C&VR changes over time, so what was legal when a vehicle was built may not be lawful to copy now. But look at the front mudguards of a Lightweight, and what they don't cover.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Richard you can get the C&UR from

if you search The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) it lists 87 results the last one is the 1986 book the others are all amendments total cost about 420 GBP

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

The shortened bumper is a definate fail.

True - though open to interpretation of course!

He was correct.

Well, it does - but then if someone was that keen to get a trophy........

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Oh, a snip at the price

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You could probably get two snips for that price...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Many thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be busy with the snips and angle grinder this weekend :-)

Peter Meed

Reply to
Peter Meed

"Andy.Smalley" wrote

Thanks Andy. That *may* have been the reason why I didn't get a copy! That's almost a whole Evolution suspension kit.

Rich RR 4.6 HSE Tiggrr 3.5 V8 trialler

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around 20 Jan 2004 06:28:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Richard Brookman) enlightened us thusly:

there's a lot called Hughes Guides, who do a traffic law "e-book", which is basically a big collection of PDF files.

's good. must get tuits to update mine. Though stuff like C&U doesn;t change too much. They do annual updates, if you pay a sub, 's about 20 quid or somesuch.

re the OP question...

put lightweight wings on it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles