SIIId - no power

had hoped not to be posting this kind of remark so early on in my land rover career but. . .

a very mushy gear box as i cornered and a sudden and ugly low bang left me with no fwd motion. power still good and the speedo seems happy to signal

30 mph but nothing in the movement vector.

literally loss of transmission but perhaps someone could suggest exactly what could be amiss.

reminder, im pretty innocent when it comes to mechanics, like watching a film in a spanish bar, i understand but in a grasping the overall concepts kind of way rather than a "she's going to rome to buy a gun because he killed her brother in '75 and his name is" . . . you get the idea!

and as for pushing a land rover by yourself. . . up a hill!!

i love her but surely she shouldnt die so early in our relationship. . .

as always TIA

ted

Reply to
teddave

You need to recognise this as what it is.

Your Land Rover is giving you your first real test. If you show weakness (e.g. fitting new genuine parts, employing a mechanic etc) then you will have no end of bother.

Show it who's boss. Remove the brakes, put it in the garage and let it stew for 18 months. That's what I did with mine and it hasn't broken down since. It hasn't moved either, but you can't have everything.

Sounds like one of the gearboxes is shot. Does it do the same in low and high ratio? If a half-shaft has gone then you can restore motion by putting it in low ratio. If the transfer box or gearbox is knackered then you'll be needing a replacement gearbox.

Good luck and remember - be firm!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Coffee in the keyboard!

Reply to
David French

If the speedo is indicating then it suggests that you've lost something in the rear axle. Did you try putting it in 4 wheel drive ? (Push the yellow knob down). If it is somthing in the rear axle (diff or halfshaft) then it will drive in 4WD. Note that, if you have them fitted, you will also need to engage the free wheel hubs.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Sounds like a half shaft has gone. Put it in 4 wheel drive and it will give you forward motion again. Fit new half shaft. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

see this is great. yesterday i felt like a complete idiot but now i feel thats part of teh deal. i own a land rover, default setting, a life of suffering and misery.

its noisy, smelly and jumps in and out of gear at random. i turn the (i use the term advisedly) engine off and breath a sigh of relief and then i think 'this is great'.

will return to its present location and try the four wheel drive trick tomorrow. gee i never thought of that. and tks for the tip on teh FWH whihc i do have and look fwd to rummaging around with! what i do know is i can leave it in its present 'tricky' inner city location without fear of theft or tampering!

it does make me laugh to know that i am not alone!

still. . . 1.3t up a hill, too silly!

ted :0)

Reply to
teddave

Mine has been a bit dogy in 2nd gear, twice I have tried to put it into 2nd and all I get is a rattling and a thrashing and nothing, don't panic, put it into third, after all I can't be stuck half way accross traffic lights. No idea whats wrong, whether it is my innacurate gear changing or something in

2nd is knackered or worn, but it is still going anyway. It does jump out of 2nd if I over rev it.

I guess I can't expect it to be perfect at that age though.

Reply to
Larry

My land rover has a slightly different transfer box/gearbox from yours, but it has done the same thing to me! It was only the second day I had it (there must be something about new owners, or it having not been driven much by the previous owner) and was on a huge roundabout near Waterloo Bridge in the middle of London's rush hour. Bang. No drive. Nice. Turns out it was simply the transfer box falling (?) out of gear. Clutch down, lever into place, hurrah. It has done it once or twice since then, normally at crucial moments (moving away from trafic lights, going up slip road onto motorways), but now I know what it is, it's not half so terrifying as the first time! Good luck

Reply to
Olly R

I can't actually get 2nd in the 101 (well, I can change up to 2nd sometimes, but never, ever down to 2nd). The beauty of the V8 is that I don't need it...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Mine used to do that in Low Range - it turned out that the rubber gator round the gearsticks had split, and the now unbalanced tension in the rubber was pulling the lever towards neutral. Bit scary when it does it just _after_ a big hairy downhill - shudder to think what would happen if it went on the descent!

I just pull the gator off if I want reliable low range now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman

push yellow lever down, turn FWH and

BLIMEY!!!!

it works, my land rover is working again. whoppee!

truth been told thats the first time ive touched the yellow lever. maybe ill try the red lever next but. . .

. . . all is not so good. my 'engine' is shagged. leaking like a sieve apparently. i can probably do the half shaft with a lot of swearing and referring to the good folk here but an engine. . . thast not a learning curve, its a chasm.

MOT is bearing up and there is no way the smoke belching critter will get through without a new engine. . . yep i bought a pile of junk and have learnt accordingly. so, whats the cheapest i can get away with a new engine for (diesel remember). and maybe, if i put a load of filial pressure on my kid sis i can persuade her to persuade her 12 years in REME and all round nice guy spouse to get involved. if he can fix the turbo on a citeron xara diesel im sure a clapped out landy aint gonna be a problem.

do i look for a recon'd landy diesel. a daihatsu. . . i have no idea. help again!

tia ted

Reply to
teddave

I can't help feeling I have bought a colander rather than a Landie, I suppose I ought to have looked a bit closer, however overally I don't regret my purchase

Reply to
Larry

Rebuilding an engine is a really good way to learn how they work.. With it being a landrover, its all fairly simple and the bits are cheap..

Reply to
Tom Woods

However cheap times lots == not very cheap.

I am in the process of discovering this the hard way. and a V8 has around

40% more "lots" than the little TDi in question.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I was assuming that teddave has a 2.25 Diesel not a TDi.. You cant get that much more basic and simple in a landrover than a 2.25 engine can you? (I've just done a 2.5D which wasnt that bad..)..

Theres an old V8 engine arriving at my house tomorrow that is gonna need rebuilding, so i'm not listening to you! :-) Who needs any spare money anyhow? :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah. How many times have I posted that comment???

Although true, it still doesn't make it any easier...

Although I now have a superb Warren to do this, I had hitherto thought I knew the Rover V8 like the back of my hand. Odd how the back of my hand seems to have changed somewhat over the years...

True, but still doesn't stop it being a frustrating and totally 'neighbour scaring' event in your life...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

An engine transplant is obviously going to be the quickest way of getting your car back on the road and driveable, which is what we are contemplating doing with the Discovery at present. He can then learn in his own time with the old engine on a workbench.

Reply to
Nikki

engine seems very daunting, but the manual is telling me that the half shaft - my first priority, is, i quote, 'extremely easy'. so ill do that and then when im fresh from victory and full of false confidence ill contemplate my 2.25 diesel (yeah no turbo, that was a reference to teh brother in laws citreon).

its the egging on to jump that i welcome, however foolhardy it may be. the fact that the parts suppliers is ten minutes walk away is helping, that and the fact that my local mechanic must be the only yoga practicing mechanic this side of mumbai an encouragement!

'sides, i live on a ruffty tufty lambeth council estate, a land rover in bits seems appropriate if not youre usual vehicle in bits. oh yeah i found a big lump hammer in teh street; a sign from teh gods?!

teddave

Reply to
teddave

Changing the halfshaft is easy..... if it hasn't broken at the differential end. If it has then you'll probably have to remove the differential to get the broken bit out of it.

Reply to
Phil Gardiner

Thats the sensible way of doing it! :)

Reply to