Silly question

When I left changing a UJ too long last year, it knackered two of the screws which connect the mounting flange to the gearbox. To change these I need to remove the mounting flange from the box. Before I use excessive pressure, can someone please tell me whether the large central nut is left hand thread or right hand thread. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

On my Series it's a right hand threaded castle nut - remove the split pin first.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

What vehicle John?

On my Defender, the rear prop shaft that comes out of the transfer box (not the gearbox) mounted onto a flange inside the handbrake drum that was held on by a nyloc nut with a right-hand thread. I don't remember there being any great difficulty in removing it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Both flanges for front and rear propshafts on the transfer box are secured by a right hand thread nut.

Martin

Reply to
Oily