Help needed.

My 110 failed MOT today because of a loose wheel bearing, a job, I've done several times. Unfortunately this time the halfshaft came out as I pulled off the drive flange. I put it back in, but is seems to have missed at the other end and won't move either way. Could this be an over tightened wheelbearing or is it more likely to have missed the inner splines completely and become jammed?

I've never needed to renew a broken halfshaft, so I would also like to know how I proceed after removing the diff cover. I've been trying to find a drawing on line because I've left the workshop manual at the MOT garage.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

how tight did you do the bearing?

I've got into the thing of nipping it up till i cant spin it, then undoing a fraction so you can move the disc round.

HTH

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

On or around Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:32:39 +0100, "John Stokes" enlightened us thusly:

not sure it can so that, in truth - if it's not entered the diff (and BTW, you should have specified front or rear axle though it sounds like rear) then it'll be sticking out about 2" too far from the hub end.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's a rear half shaft and it's about 3/4" too far in, not sticking out, but I can't budge it. I've removed the diff cover to have a look and see if I can get at it from that end, but am I right in assuming that what looks like two bearings either side of the diff are actually what keep the diff in place? Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

I can't see how you've managed to do that, isn't there a circlip on the outside of the driveplate to stop it doing that? Have you driven the vehicle with the halfshaft too far in and maybe damaged part of the splines? If you've not got anything sticking out past the end of the stub axle to get hold of then I suppose you might be able to drive a small wedge between the inner end of the shaft and the pin through the centre of the diff. Failing that you may have to loosen the bearing caps to move the diff to one side while you cut the shaft as a last resort (assuming there is room of course). Bit of a bugger, I've not heard of that happening before.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I can get hold of it and it seems to be in correctly, but I can't pull it out the bit I need to get it far enough beyond the drive flange to refit the circlip. I've even tried gripping the end with mole grips and a piece of rag. Why the hell don't they put in a central thread like they do on the front?

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

If you've got a removable cover this will be the Salisbury diff.. The picture that I've got shows the diff. spider as having a 'hollow' centre. If this is the case you should be able to remove the opposite halfshaft and knock the first one out from the opposite side with a long bar.

Reply to
Dougal

Hmm, good point, I'd forgotten about those; but why has it jammed in?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Newness on the bit of unworn shaft at a guess?

Time to get the broom stick out.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's probably got a twist in the splines.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks to everyone who responded, the job is now done after a call to Frank King, who lives just up the road. ,

Frank reminded me of the first principle of land rover mechanics 'If in doubt, give it a clout!") and a bit of grntle persuasion with a pair of mole grips, a large spanner and a club hammer released the offending object. I now have a new MOT, which only cost me the test fee, because they only found the jobs I've mentioned, so I didn't need to buy any parts.

By the time Billing comes round my Defender will be just about run in as it passed the quarter of a million miles mark! Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes