Snorkal Top

Hi all

Im after a top for a snorkle pref the safari type that bends forward

I can get the mushroom one cheap enough but fancy something a tad different

Anyone suggest anywere I can get one from

All the best Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

Southdown fit them to their stainless snorkels. Might be a bit small, though; the pipe size seems to be a bit smaller than most.

Don't fit one if you're running on LPG. The positive pressure stops the gas blending properly, and if you turn it round, the negative pressure stops the gas blending properly.

Reply to
Smorgo

Thanks mate Im not planning on gasing it just yet anyway

I am trying to get a tad different look and dont want to go down the mushroom top I am going to try LR supermarket in Speke tomorrow just wondered if there are any other sources I could try or has anyone got one on a shelf they want to part with :-)

all the best thanks mate

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

Dont think of fitting one if your going to drive in dusty conditions... When fitted forward facing, it'll suck in all the crap and get it delivered to your carbs.

Reply to
4x4forfun

Actually I was going to have it facing backwards but it would be going through a good airfilter all the same.

So come on guys were do I get one from lol

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

Paul Hi,

someone here in greece makes glassfible and epoxy snorkel tops modeled after the one that looks forward and are made of plastic (s@f@ri snorkel)

I think he is asking for 50 euros plus postage each

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

A further word of caution, then. The point of the forward-facing top is to take advantage of "ram-air". The air is forced into the snorkle as you drive, providing more power (actually, it tends to just make up for the losses incurred having a snorkle). If you point it backwards, it will generate a vacuum within the snorkle meaning _less_ air gets to the carbs and consequently less power. It makes little difference at low speed but a significant one at road speeds.

Reply to
Smorgo

High speed in a Land Rover ??? Hehehehe

Andy SIII 109SW 2.25 Petrol

Reply to
Andy

thank you all guys for the replies to this odd question

Had a word with a supplier today and im looking at £60 and thats with discount so it looks like its going to be the mushroom top one for me then at about £20

I have taken on board what you said about having it facing backwards and will bear it in mind if I ever get one but I guess im going to wait till someone has one they dont want or need.

Thanks again chaps

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

It makes little difference at low speed but a

I've just removed the Mantec snorkel fitted to my TD5 90 CSW as it actually had a noticeable effect on road performance.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

we have a mushroom one (matt savage) on the top of our 90 V8 snorkel and when it was on the rolling road it knocked the power down from approx 200bhp to 160bhp. I now only connect the snorkel when off roading. For road use I use the K&N's - noisy tho ;-) Richard

Reply to
Richard

In message , Smorgo writes

That's the benefit if a properly designed mushroom top. It causes the air to rotate and so flows better in to the snorkel. (AIUI)

Reply to
hugh

Unfortunately it ends up mounted by the 'A' pillar and there are major air movement problems there at speed. The mushroom ones are great at low speeds, but for high speed running the forward facing ones generally work better. Donaldson (who manufacture truck air filters and ancillaries) do a good line of forward facing ones at a moderate price.

Reply to
EMB

Are we talking about snorkels attatched to petrol or diesel engines, or doesn't it matter?

Reply to
Wolverine