Snow Mongs

For my future reference what tyres are these, please?

I have 2001 Disco II TD5 and have never had any problems in snow with either the standard original Michelin road tyres or the current BFG AT's. I have to say I've never used HDC on the local longish 1:6 single track descent...just 1st or 2nd high box and the occasional light touch of brakes. On the ascent , similarly no problems (2nd high) and only the very little bit of TC cutting in. I am very lucky that the lane has little traffic which helps tremendously. It is a 1:6 down , bend at the bottom and 1:6 immediately up. As an aside........I do remember a good few years back driving to work in my first car with ABS (Merc 200TE) and discovering that ABS downhill on RWD with road tyres was definately an acquired skill! Required a roll of Andrex to be kept in the glovebox as well. Fortunately, the TWO snowplough/gritters descending my approaching ascent noticed me and stopped on the passing place/bend at the bottom!

I'm also interested in the suggestion later in the thread that the CDL mod may be worth making. I certainly initially thought the Disco II was very poor at pulling the horse trailer out of the hilly muddy field when I first got it. The Disco I with CDL was virtually unstoppable. As you say, you have to keep the bugger moving BUT once you've got that locked into the brain and get over the counter intuitiveness of giving MORE gas when the wheels start spinning and the TC cuts in the electronics are , IMHO, actually very effective. Now, this heavy footed approach is pretty difficult to do on roads where you have to share with others, I agree! Has anyone actually done the conversion and can compare the same vehicle on same tyres in same conditions using TC/CDL? If you fit the CDL do you disable the TC in some way or do they fight one another?

Thanks for any info Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

Sipes YTC.

Reply to
Nige

Actually.... That 30 Inch ruler is actually, well, I think you will find those are centimeters.

;o)

Reply to
Lee_D

See other post Hankook Ventus ST not my choice they were on the car when= I bought it. Pity they are so crap on snow they are fairly new must have a= good 6 or 7mm of tread, which makes 'em even worse. If they where on the= legal limit I wouldn't be so surprised.

Yep the old Disco had Pirelli Scorpian ST and STRs and before them the factory Goodyear Wranglers. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given me =

the same bother yesterday. Having said that yesterdays snow wasn't our normal type of snow. We normally have fairly dry powder snow, it doesn't= stick together very well at all, useless for snow men and sometimes useless for snow balls. Yesterdays snow was wet and sticky, that may hav= e increased it's prepenticty to compress into solid ice rather than compacted snow. The latter will "give" and the blocks and snips on the tyre tread can get a grip, ice has no give and only studs will get any grip.

I only used low 1st as I didn't want it to run or slide away as there would be absolutely no way of stopping it. I knew that low first on tickover would not let it run away and keep the wheels slowly turning th= us keeping some traction and fresh rubber on the snow/ice. I find the HDC lets the car go a bit too quick for my liking and it can be quite violen= t. I want to go real slow so if I do hit anything it isn't going to bend something into requiring replacement, these are single track roads with =

narrow verges before the drystone wall, not a lot of space to play with.= When the HDC did kick in it did slow the car down though.

I tried more gas, just made the wheels spin faster but I was stationary = at the time. Even if I tried to take a run (well about 8' run) it still didn't let me get up the hill.

There is a switch on the transfer box that lights a light on the dash (n= ot one that is in the power on self test) it's in the top left cluster. If =

engage diff lock with the engine running that is all that happens and yo= u have diff lock and TC. If you start the engine with diff lock engaged it= will disable at least TC and possibly HDC and ABS as well.

Try googling, there is information out there. If my transfer box has the= diff lock spigot I'm sorely tempted to fit a lever with difflock. Pity i= t costs =A3250 ish from Land Rover.

For starters.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I believe you have confused that with a foot.

Reply to
Otto J. Makela

Well, as far as diameters go, it's still not bad. You should see how long it is.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's smelly and a bit crusty, so perhaps you're right, maybe.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:45:33 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

sipes.

The new tyres (Conti Vanco Winter) have 'em. And they're fecking good on wet leaves etc. as well - driving up some of the hills, the 25-quid yugoslavian Trayals were spinning like f*ck in 2nd, these don't slip at all.

I'll keep the others in case I want 'em, either put 'em back on in the summer or hunt a trailer with 16" wheels, they'd be good for that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:45:32 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

There was a thing the other day, some bint got a photo studio to take pictures and didn't like 'em when she got 'em, paid 100 notes and then claimed that as she was dyslexic (how fecking cruel is it to have a bitch of a spelling like dyslexia?) she couldn't understand the contract.

FFS.

she was probably a minger anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:25:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela) enlightened us thusly:

Man walks into a chiropodists, approaches the receptionist, whips out his todger and places it on the counter.

Receptionist, coldly: "That's not a foot." Man: "Well, no, but it's a good ten inches."

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thought all tyres other than proper muds have sipes, including standard car road tyres.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:20:15 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

more from mensa's own site this time:

27/30 on that one.

missed 2 anagrams 'cos I hate them, and cocked up the number of 7s.

'course, I could go back again and get 30/30 dead easy, which is not their point but mine: you can learn to do these kind of tests, just like a regular corssword-fanatic would have no trouble at all with the anagrams.

Obviosuly, that test stays the same, but they all have similar elements, like "what's the next number in this sequence".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Dyslexia is a dreadful thing to be diagnoses with when you're a kid, because it's a wonderful excuse to slack off. I am in theory dyslexic too however when I looked at the list of symptoms that go with it, and the claim that people get a highly variable mix of them, it just looked like a bullshit condition. I looked into it a bit more and there is considerable debate over whether the condition exists, and found that it's a condition that has no direct medical basis so is just based on a statistical grouping of symptoms. Some of the supposed symptoms have a genetic or medical basis, but it's the grouping of a mish-mash of symptoms together into a condition that can't even be definitively diagnosed that stinks of animal poo. It's sort of like deciding that people who have thin hair, are slightly pot-bellied and hanker after sports cars have the condition "middle-aged male", but appying that to chav teenage girls too.

Thankfully no-one diagnosed me when I was a kid, a nephew of mine didn't escape so easily and a month or so after getting diagnosed he was trying to use it as an excuse to avoid building a lego model, asking me to do it because he "can't do manuals". Thankfully he seems to have shaken that off now.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

(how fecking cruel is it to have a bitch of

Try Pepto Bismol, supposed to be good for that!

Reply to
JacobH

On or around Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:49:26 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but these have more, and they're wiggly.

(conti's site, pictures of winter van tyres)

if you click around you can see the summer ones, with fewer and non-wiggly sipes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which brings us nicely back on topic! MONG! ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

I think you mean KING, bloody lysdexics!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No time here for those sort of games, too busy with

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It's only a foot deep, why bother? Guess if you have a toy you have to play with it though. B-)

This did require a snow blower:

Dave Liquorice

Ah! Probably use it meself if there's drystone walls in the way!

It sounds like time to make use of the council's grit heaps - unless of course it's a private road or a poor council!

Thanks - interesting. Whilst £250 isn't a tremndous amount if it does actually stop you bending the vehicle, it is quite a lot for the once every x years you might need it. I've had to resort to gritting my access road for the first time in about 8 years this weekend - more out of kindness for the postman than oursleves - so maybe it is just the wrong type of snow. Was Ok for snowmen though. No doubt, it'll all be gone too quickly.