Snow Mongs

On or around Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:10:03 -0000, "Muddymike" enlightened us thusly:

I like the look of this one:

and this bloke's a nutter:

and then there's:

Austin Shackles

There are grit heaps, trouble would have been finding them under the snow...

Up here it could be useful every year. It's a right take it apart job to= fit though I was half hoping for a remove gaters, under screws drop out =

old lever disconnect cable, connect new one and old offer up and tighten= screws...

That's trains and powder snow. B-) Powder snow is terrible stuff gets = in through the smallest hole and just keeps coming.

A lot of the fall from last week is still here, it got warm yesterday wi= th a max of 4C, today has only managed just over 3C but it's stayed around =

3C since 1000 this morning.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:03:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

it's all down to conditions. I went off the road in the series III by using low-1: too much engine braking led to sliding on all 4 wheels. In that circumstance, a more bold approach in say about low-2 or low-3 would maybe have paid off better. I've done this on a tractor on a dry grass field with a baler, the combined weight pushes it past the point where it grips and once it's sliding, slow-turning wheels are not much better than locked ones.

by contrast, HDC will, I assume, prevent the wheels from locking and still give you a chance at steering.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

AIUI HDC applies the brakes when speed reaches 5 mph and uses the ABS system to release individual wheels which start sliding so that they rotate and hopefully re-establish grip.

No grip - you keep rolling and sliding.

Reply to
hugh

Well, I used HDC on utter sheet ice to see what it would do & it stopped me much better than brakes alone. Just a very gentle dab of the brake & you stop very controlled indeed. Just hit the brakes & you slide for ever.

Reply to
Nige