So why not buy it then?

I went to see a 1983 110 5-door 12-seater yesterday. For sale on ebay and roadside asking price is £2295

Chassis replaced 3 years ago and absolutely solid. Bulkhead is solid without a trace of rust. Structurally extremely good for the year. No bent bits.

Perkins 4203. Starts, no smoke. Starts without smoke after being left for several minutes after being run until warm. As good as 4203's get, I thought, and just right for the type of driving I'll be doing. Coupled to a 4-speed box. No idea what sort but it dropped in and out of gear nicely and made no ontoward noises. Selection is positive too.

Brakes strongly in a straight line. Doesn't wander on dodgy cambers or when going over bumpy sections.

Clutch bites smoothly but right at the top. I think this may be caused by the conversion. Can this be adjusted?

Power steering has an intermittent stiff spot (but there most of the time) but on reflection it felt more like heavy/light/heavy/light rather than free/stiff/free/stiff. It's as though the power steering turns off for a fraction of a second then comes back. The steering is otherwise tight and when working is perfectly smooth. Could this just be the unit needing a flush and change of fluid? Nothing visibly seems to be wrong and the fluid level is good with no bubbles.

So, what's the verdict? Price ok? Snap his hand off or walk away?

Reply to
PDannyD

Hi Danny,

This sounds a little like some sort of backlash, I suspect it could be a couple of reasons. The belt may need changing, it could be just that there is a glazed spot.

Then again it could be a sign of an expensive failure. Although, a power steering box is probably not that vast amount.

If I was you I would decide if I could budget for a new power steering pump, if I could I would buy it asking for a couple of pounds reduction.

Then again it is probably just what I am looking for. SO DOTN BUY IT.

:)

"PDannyD"

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

May the best man win! ;-)

He's also got a 110 CSW 5-door with a V8. That sounded nice too so I'm watching both.

I'm like a child in a sweet shop who has only got 50p. So many sweeties!

Reply to
PDannyD

This is usually causes by a binding UJ on the steering column, WD40 sorts it out 9 times out of 10.

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

On or around Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:24:26 +0100, "PDannyD"

enlightened us thusly:

given the newish chassis and if you're really happy with the Perkins engine (which is slow as a slow thing, especially as it's "only" a 4203) then it's not a bad price.

check the bulkhead is OK, mind.

The driver's seat is normal... mine was just like that. I suspect new seat bases (they just pull out) are not too pricey, failing that, there are plenty of options to improve the seats. I've a set from a sierra 4x4 in mine, and they're excellent.

Reply to
Austin Shackles