Front leaf springs for Perkins powered SWB?

Just about to swap the front (broken) springs on a S3 SWB I'm rebuilding. Also going to drop, from about 5 foot, a 4203 Perkins lump in to replace the knackered 2 ¼ petrol so what springs do people recommend?

Obviously the first choice are SWB diesel springs, but the LWB used stiffer springs again on the front according to the shop. Now, these would seem the obvious choice to me given the HUGE weight of this beast. but the chap in the shop replied to day when I asked him "Ssssss. " (sucking air though teeth - does this normally when I ask for advice on standard part compatibility/swaping) "it will mess it all up!" followed by "nobody else has ever swapped the springs after a Perkins engine conversion that I know of". Humm. however, they where totally out of stock of leaf springs until Friday so giving me time to consider what a huge mistake I was making anyway by going to the dark side with a non original engine anyway!

Following on with this train of thought. can anybody tell me where I can get bit n bobs for Perkins engines from in the UK? Preferably Midlands/North West area. I'm also looking for a good S2A 'box as my S3 box is already suffering from something terminal!

Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Anyone who puts in non standard engines clearly has issues :op

what you need is good pare obolics.

Try calling Chris Perfect if your departing with hard earned may as well do it big time...

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

You've presumably heard all the strong dislikes about perkins engines in LRs... I hate them. That aside, they are v. heavy, so I would reckon LWB front springs would be a sensible idea. As there's not that much travel before the bump stops anyhow, you don't want to be wasting too much on extra sag. I would think the extra weight of the perkins is easily as much or more than the extra load/unladen weight on the front end of a typical LWB. Other things about the perkins 4203/4236 from driving a couple in Landys before: They don't rev anywhere near as high (ie only about 3000rpm) So you really nead to do something about the gearing. RR diffs would be a fair idea. IIa box a good plan also, otherwise you'll strip the teeth on

3rd and probably bugger the maishaft in a III. They are very lame to drive too - loads of low down torque so great for towing slowly in 4th gear..., but very limited acceleration above about 30mph. I wouldn't reccomend an OD because witht the extra torque it will wear v. quickly and soon be whining almost as load as the engine chuggs.. You will also almost certainly go deaf!!

If you haven't already set your heart on it, I wouldn't bother with the

4203/4236 at all. The conversion to do I hear is the 2l Perkins Prima as fitted to Montego TD cars. Better performance, similar characteristics to the 2.25 petrol and up to 35mpg apparently. I've no personal experience with them, but lots of really good reports. It's a more sensible weight so no need to bother with the springs. Revs high so no need to change the diffs. You could flog your 4203 on ebay!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

by the way, what ratio diffs have you got in, and do you have OVERDRIVE

talking from experience, you WILL need 3.5 diffs from a rangey. and overdrive is ESSENTIAL with a perkins in, and even then itll drive like a tank, complete with the tanks acceleration.

why perkins???

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Well.. now considering using coil springs... but enough said for now about that project for now ;)

Would use 3.54 diffs and overdrive and I beleve my perkins revs to 2,600 I beleve... so giving a top speed of about 70mph flat out which is all its going to do anyway with about 65hp.

Why a perkins? All I can aford! Got an old 2.25 diesel, reliable but gutless for towing trailers. A Perins Prima would be lovley, but the convertion bits are too much :(

Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS