Spotlights

Anybody know of any reason not to mount spotlights directly to the roof on a Rangerover classic that has already had the headliner ripped out?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

It's what I've done on other various vehicles in the past. I found that it was a good idea to put a strengthening plate on the inside - as hitting the odd branch can tend to deform the roof when hit at moderate speed :-(

I guess there's also a question about earthing and possibly a steel/alloy non-mix reaction to bear in mind though.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:05:42 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

and stick some silicone sealer around the hole before bolting it up. I'd be inclined to earth it with a separate earth cable, or more likely, buy some flat 2-core wire with a suitable current rating to run up to it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I saw an interesting '4 lights on a roofrack' rig yesterday. Essentially the roof rack was a single bar mounted onto the side gutters. The owner had welded a plate onto the top, through which he'd drilled the holes for the 6 lights.

I wish I'd had my camera on me, as the huge cable went through a hole in the side and had a large dollop of dirty white sealant around it, which looked as though an Eagle had passed its lot!

Did anyone ever find a nice slimline weatherproof electrical connector which would handle 30+ Amps?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother