Strange noise.

Hi all. Not the easiest to way up by description, but here goes. I always put the clutch in before starting the engine, and when I do I get a short whiring sound from the rear of the dash, ( rear of Clocks area Etc ), rather like a dry bearing being spun. Start the engine with the clutch out, and nothing.

Start the engine with the clutch in again to try and make the noise and identify where it's coming from, and nothing. Do you think that this could be the Thrust bearing on its way out and noise being transfered throught the steering columb somewhere?

It's definitly not any UJ's as I've not even started moving. Just to note this is a TD5 diesel and I've just picked it up last week so is still under warrenty, but for peace of mind I'd like to get a rough idea if it's sound's like a common problem? TIA Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

Hi dave, I do have the same problem something especially when its cold outside. I went to my Land Rover dealer, they heard the sound and said it's the clutch friction material, but its not a problem they said. They did not want to repair it; they stated Land Rover the Netherlands would not pay for the repair. So I hope it is realy not a problem... regards Fred Defender 130 TD5

"Dave Piggin" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...

Reply to
Landy Fred

It's the spigot shaft bush. Made from phoshor bronze, it's probably wasn't impregnated with oil properly. Known problem. Steve W.

Reply to
QD Steve

Usually the sound of throwout/thrust bearing going on most vehicles, which you can often feel as it transfers into your foot. It would occur consistantly though so it's probably as Steve said.

I'm also new to Landy's

Bananaramma