Super Unleaded

I accidentally put 50 quids worth of Total Excellium in my 98 4.6 (new engine last year)P38 a week ago. It did seem to be a bit more responsive but it could have been me. So after reading this thread I thought I would experiment and try another 50 quids worth this week. After filling up Thursday evening Friday morning it started to play up. It's not too bad when cold but as it reaches normal temp it gets worse, symptoms like fuel starvation. As I put my foot down it is cutting out. Starts ok, idles ok, starts missing as the revs are increased, worse under load. My local Landie guy put his diagnostics thingy on and said all the sensors etc are ok, no fault codes. He suspects fuel or fuel pump but he didn't have the right adaptor to check the fuel pressure and he was booked up so couldn't do anything. I topped up the tank with 15L of BP regular unleaded (it's full now!) but this morning it is running like a pig. What do you guys think??

Gazza

Reply to
Gaz

It shouldn't be the fuel, putting in higher octane fuel into an engine not designed for it should do nothing more than burn the money quicker. Or so I'm told anyway!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't think it's the actual fuel either as the first tank didn't give any problems. I'm wondering if it is water or some other crap contamination in the second lot? Maybe as less people buy this expensive stuff the garage refill their tank less often so there is more chance of water and muck accumulating in the garages tank and being sucked up? If it is not a fuel related problem it's a hell of a coincidence. Going to take it to the Landy boys Tuesday as it is undrivable now.

Gazza

Reply to
Gaz

Buggerit, its nowt to do with the juice, just a bloody great coincidence. It's the crank sensor, apparently it's mounted on some bracket/plate arrangement that's prone to crack/break and mine has done just that. It's a gearbox out operation to get at and fix. Major open wallet surgery, still at least I have a full tank of petrol when I get it back, pah.

Gazza

Reply to
Gaz