Bet the fuel prices go up

That's one fair-sized fire they've got there.

(Total depot near Hemel gone up, for them as are divorced from the news)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fair to say some fuels definately gone up there! I think I'll fill me tanks now, Both are nearing empty so would be a shame to have to pay 5p more a litre for what I can get today. Full tank of fuel should last around 6 months in the Disco. Laguna yet to be gased.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Another excuse for them to put them up more like.

Reply to
Nige

Twerps already panic buying! Latest news bulletin!

Reply to
Peter

I wonder what Gordon's excuse will be for taking his cut. "Protecting fuel supplies for the public", no doubt.

Reply to
Dougal

In the big scheme of things the amount of fuel that has been lost is a drop in the ocean. The infrastructure damage is another matter, there may well be short term shortages in the area previously served from that depot but it shouldn't be long before they can transport in from other depots. Of course the laws of supply and demand will kick in and I wouldn't be surprised to see the price in the affected delivery area rise. But if prices rise in this part of the country it's pure profiteering.

At that level of useage I wouldn't worry about it. I fill up, well 60 to 70l or 400+ miles every 10 days or so...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Austin Shackles" wrote

Our cats had woken us up just before the BOOM, yes we hear it here and quite loud, amazing.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Lee_D" wrote after

Yes, Aviation Fuel. It's an aviation fuel depot. So the only problems with Petrol/Diesel supply will be the shut roads and idiots panic buying. No reason for any price hike at all.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

thats true enough Bob unless you vector in several other factors Profiteering by the oil companies Panic on the stock exchange when the Henries arrive monday morning having seen queues at petrol stations thinking they have hot info watch the crude oil prices hike. and as you say granny buying those folk who use a tank a month will be brimming them as we speak btw I was down to about a 1/4 so I did what Lee did and topped up don't want a nasty surprise tomorrow AM when I'm down on the red Derek current price is 85.9 unleaded

Reply to
Derek

Dave Liquorice uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah true enough, Even the vapours that are in there should keep me going another 3 weeks for the start up prior to it switching to gas.

Given Dereks predictions last time around when there was fuel "issue" there will no doubt be panic buying shortages, followed by a price hike, followed by petrol cheaper than before once the forecourts can't shift the stuff for a week or two cos everyones full again. Time will tell as they say.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Topped the Laguna up, only cos it had to be done anyway. Disco can wait till it drops below current prices again (I can live in hope! :-) )

84.9p here.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Panic buying has started here. My FiL just rang to say "fill up, quick". He's filled his car and his van already. Any general shortage will be caused by panic buying, not by the loss of 1 depot.

Given I use a tank every 2 days it's not really worth me bothering anyway.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

3 miles from ground zero .......house shaken and damaged.....was like an earthquake !

still see the flame from here

Reply to
cg1

On or around Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:43:18 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I reckon I'm due to fill the minibus either tuesday or wednesday. round about 60l once a week, here. Bloody annyoing when twits who are planning to go all of 30 miles in the next month rush out and fill their motor to the brim, and louse up the fuel supplies, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:43:02 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

I gather it's more than just avaiation fuel. 's the 5th biggest fuel depot in the country and serves half the garages in mid-south England, as well as the aero fuel, going by what the bloke on the telly said today.

The most worrying aspect if you live nearby is probably the number of tanks that are next-door to the fire and not burning. Although I gather the fire brigade are watering 'em down to keep em cool, or try to.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:30:10 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

there's a picture of the smoke here:

Austin Shackles

Seems it was a petrol tank that went first.

Bloke talking about PIPO (Pump In, Pump Out) system. The full tanks will have been emptied - mind, a big empty fuel tank will make a big enough bang if it goes up from the vapour alone.

Reply to
Mother

*cough* *wheeze*

Sorry about that chaps, will be more careful next time. Let's just keep it under our hats eh.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Aye empty tanks are far more dangerous than full ones. Nice fuel air mixture just ripe to go BOOM given the chance. 100% neat fuel won't burn, no oxygen. Volatile fuels like petrol are nasty though as they can produce a nice fuel/air mix very quickly. (I won't use *any* petrol to start a fire again in a hurry...)

That name rings a small bell, not a special effects chap is he?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice