Swivel pre load RR

Please could anybody tell me what the pre load is on a Rangie. Thanks inadvance Paul

Reply to
Paul Coley

The following comes from the 1987-1990 model year manual

  1. Tighten the pinion flange nut to the specified

torque (see section 06-Torque values). The

force required to rotate the pinion shaft

should be within 23 to 40.25 kgf cm (20 to 35

in lb) using new bearings, when initial inertia

has been overcome. Change the bearing

pre-load shim as necessary to obtain this

requirement. A thicker shim will reduce

pre-load; a thinner shim will increase pre-load.

NOTE: If using original bearings, which are

bedded in, the pre-load figure is 11.5 to 17.25

kgf cm (10 to 15 in lb)

  1. Remove the pinion flange.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Thanks Graeme I had it in my mind it was 14lbs so that should be about right i hope Paul

Reply to
Paul Coley

In message , Paul Coley writes

My pre-76 manual quotes 2.5-3lb at the track-rod eye after overcoming inertia for the bearing alone. That usually equates to 15-18lb with the swivel-seal in place (which would be roughly the figure you indicated).

Perhaps the specs changed later?

Reply to
AndyG

Dunno - I've the later model manual on pdf and I cut n pasted right out of it - I did one swivel on mine this year after failing MoT and got it at about 20lb - I'm not sure how accurate the spring balace was but the car steers straight!

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Reply to
Paul Coley

In message , Paul Coley writes

Of course the other method is:

If it's all assembled, you have to gently pull the hub round and it'll stay where you leave it that's about right. If it falls to the front or back under its own weight it's too loose, and if it needs a big heave-ho it's too tight ...

guesstimation is the name of the game ... and, in this case nearly always works :-)

Reply to
AndyG

Reply to
Paul Coley