Symptoms of a failing heater?

Hello all,

My late 1995 Disco 300Tdi has started to steam up even more than normal (it's always a little bit moist thanks to the dodgy seals on the alpine windows.)

In the last couple of days, I've noticed a smell of antifreeze when I have the heater fan on.

I'm not yet noticing any visible drop in coolant in the expansion tank, but I presume this smell indicates a leak in the heater.

Does anybody have any other possibilities I should investigate, or any experience of failing heaters on this engine?

Thanks for any tips and pointers,

Kieran Turner

Kieran Turner

Hi, it seems to be quite common. Just buy some "Radweld" (radiator sealant) put it in, give your car a run on the motorway (I think its best to get it pretty hot), and it should steam no longer. I repaired mine this way, and I had steam coming out of the vents! If this doesn't work, then you can investigate other posibilities but I think it will.

Goodluck

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I'd rather not try the motorway -- partially blank off the radiator airflow, and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

If something does go wrong on the motorway, it can get expensive.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Or bung a raw egg in there. But probably best stick with the Radweld unless you're stuck in the outback.

David French

Ahh, the old raw egg trick, I guess you don't bung the yolk in too, just the white? Do you know anyone who's done it?

Reply to
Guy Lux

In my case it was the tiny hose that circulates coolant to the intake plenum. It was leaking at the fitting to the plenum allowing coolant to run down the valve cover and then onto the valley gasket where it would pool. The pooled coolant fumes come right in the air vent but are somehow only noticeable when the heat is on. Try tightening the clamp.

I didn't find the leak until half way into tearing the dash apart to replace the core, a very tedious experience.

Reply to
Geoff 93 RRC

I'd like to know what the symptoms of a working heater were, I have not experienced them yet.

Reply to
Larry