TD5 dif seal replacement.

How difficult is to replace the front diff/prop shaft seal on a Disco TD5. Is there anything unusual I should be aware of.

Also, The oil in the front axle was discoloured brown. How can the oil become contaminated. Steve W.

Reply to
QD Steve

Was it emulsified? Most likely contamination is water. The diff breathers exist to limit this, but if they are broken or blocked, then you could have water getting in there. Disconnect the breather from the top of the axle and try to blow through it - you should be able to easily.

You could also have problems if you wade above the depth of the breathers. The idea is, as you go into water, the warm oil in the axle contracts in the cold water, which sucks water in through the axle seals (if the breather's blocked) or the breather if it's underwater.

I had the same problem as you and it was a blocked breather. Unblocked it and no subsequent problems.

HTH David.

Reply to
David French

Thanks for the info. I replaced the pinion seal. I believe there may be a collapsible washer behind it that *should* have been replaced but I am not sure on this one. You're right about the breather. Completely missing since I bought the car. The car has been in water, the last time was in January when it was in sea water which probably had the worst impact. Luckily, I live in Australia and we have had a long hot summer which drove most of the water out. Only slight emulsification of the oil suggested this. I changed the oil about one week ago and I am changing it again tomorrow which should finally get rid of all contamination. Just hope no long term damage has been done. I can hear a slight whine from the front axle but it is only just audible. This could be normal but, paranoia could have tuned my hearing to it.

Reply to
QD Steve