TD5 Turbo Noise

Hi,

Should I be concerned about a whirring noise that comes from the vicinity of the turbo when I switch off? You can feel the vibration in the gear lever and hear the noise in the cabin (doors & windows shut).

It always does many people wouldn't noice it but occasionally it is really loud. I normally have to do some slow manouvering parking up this is done with the engine at idle, though the ECU does adjust the fuelling to stop it stalling of course. I can't reliably reproduce the loud version of the whirr and the "normal" level one doesn't appear to be affected by switching of quickly or after the obilgatory 10s of idling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

It is your oil rotor slowing down !!!!

Perfectly normal

Reply to
Marc Draper

I have a similar noise which became louder after changing the oil filter. It is the centrifugal filter that some examples exhibit.

David

Reply to
David

so Dave Liquorice was, like...

No. It's the centrifugal oil filter spinning down, perfectly normal.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The quiet version I can just about accept as normal, though feeling the vibration is a bit off putting. The loud one, well it is LOUD and the noise is so much like something just catching that perhaps shouldn't.

Still if the turbo isn't going go phut because of it I'm happy but if it is going to go phut it better do it before mid November when the warranty runs out...

Thanks chaps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It can be quite loud. I was on the phone to the dealer the first day I had mine, but in the end I rather liked it. It's a bit like the car saying "OK, I can have a rest now".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I'd have been straight on phone if it had done the LOUD version on day one... I'd still like to know why it varies so much from "Is that a whirr I can hear?" to "WTF is that!".

Naw, that comes from the air suspensions gentle phisssssssschnk 30s to a minute after shutdown. But you wouldn't know about that. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just does :-)

The air sus on the Disco didn't do this, but the Rangie did. It waited until you were several yards way and then set about the chunka-chunka psssst tic tic routine as the suspension computer sorted itself out. It reminded me of a dog turning round and round in its bed before settling down for the night.

Reply to
Richard Brookman