How to Grease prop shaft UJ's properly???

Hi all,

Is there an art to greasing prop shaft UJ's??

I know the bit about grinding the head of the grease gun so it mates properly with the nipple or using extra long nipples to allow the grease gun to connect.

...BUT

When I squeeze the grease gun I seem to get grease pouring out of one of the four bearings but none of the others. I know the grease is taking the path of least resistance but how do I persuade it to go to the other bearings as well?????

How long should these dammed things last? Over the last 2 years Ive had to replace all 4 and I'm just beginning to be able to feel the vibrations from one of them again. Greasing solves the problem for a while but Im not convinced grease is getting to all the places it should, hence the post!

I remember reading a post a while ago about going for a long drive to get them warm, but shouldnt it be the grease that needs warming, not the UJ itself?

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

I asked the same question a while back and asked if a long drive to warm things up would help, some people thought it might.

I think the problem is with blockage in the UJ and therefore it needs to be warm (in the hope that the grease+dirt mixture that blocks up the grease channel might become softer), and not the grease you put in.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

There was a thread here with the subject "greasing uj's" in mid September. If you can't find it ask again and I'll repeat my suggestions.

Reply to
Dougal

If the grease gun is pumping grease out of one of the bearings, then the grease gun is mating properly. If you squeeze the grease gun until the grease pours out of one of the bearings, you will burst the seal. This then lets dirt and water into the bearing causing premature failure.If you connect the grease gun and watch closely for any weeping of grease from the seals, that is when you stop squeezing.There is nothing you can do about the path of the grease, it will go where it has space to go. I have had my Land Rover for 9 years and 110000 of its 197000 and it has never needed a new UJ yet. Many will disagree with the above, so listen and decide. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

Pieter,

Many thanks, found your previous post. Easy when you know what to search for!

Thanks, I'll give some of the suggestions a go.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I'm one of those that disagrees!

The purpose of greasing the joints is not only to get fresh grease into the joints, but also to expel the old, dirty grease. You should keep greasing until clean grease is seen to come out of all 4 sides of the joint. The seal is there to keep dirt out, and the lip of the seal will be pointing outward, so the pressure of the grease coming from the inside will lift the lip, and allow the grease out without doing the seal any damage, when the pressure is off, the lip will go back onto the shaft of the joint, preventing the ingress of dirt.

I maintain trucks for a living, so have greased a propshaft or two!, and have never had any problems yet with that method.

Reply to
SimonJ

The new grease will flow fine, it is the old grease already in the joint that needs heating as it will possibly have gone hard.

How often are you greasing the joints, problems with greasing usually only occur when it isn't done often enough, which gives the old grease time to set in the joint. I would say monthly greasing should be OK.

If you cant get the grease to flow out of all sides of the joint, try heating it with a hot air gun. (we use the oxy/ac on stubborn joints at work, but you have to be careful where you point it!)

Reply to
SimonJ

I'll join you, Simon.

These seals will not be damaged by allowing the 'old' grease to be expelled. The only thing to watch is that the seal is not dislodged from the groove in the outside of the cup.

Reply to
Dougal

This may be the problem, an indeed was my next question - how often. I think I will start doing it more regularly to see if that makes a difference - I suspect it might.

Reply to
Jon

Jon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Haynes says every 12,000 miles. If the grease ceases to work by not getting to where it is needed, there will be friction and the production of heat which should in turn melt hard grease.

I think I'd check play in the shaft central sliding joint if UJs were having to be replaced too often. Excessive movement in the shaft will put extra strain on the joints. Check for sideways movement in the shaft.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Also using right gease helps a lot. An EP2 "High Pressure" Lithium grease is best. I've seen a lot of people using those cheap cartridges you see at boot fairs/cheap tool shops - the contents of which will give Araldite a run for it's money after a few weeks.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I am embarrassed to admit but this may also be my problem. Not that I have specifically gone to a boot fair to buy cheapo grease, more a case of using whatever was in the gun...

Time to go and buy some Lithium grease I think and keep on top of the job....

Also, as suggested by Derry, I will check the lateral movement across the splines. From memory though these felt OK last time I checked.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

I would tend to believe that, but at they explicitly say you should push grease out.

Fred

P.S. As ever, never a one solution ;-)

Reply to
Fred Labrosse