TDI Engines and Vegetable Oil - Can it be used...successfully???

But heating oil is Kero, Avtur is also Kero, but with a lubricity additive and anti-icing inhibitors. I know of 2 people who ran their cars (off-road, honest guv'nor) on avtur with absolutely no probs at all, both vauxhalls btw. All you need to do is find the additive pack and add it to your Kero..... Product called Hytec, comes in 1 pint bottles and treats roughly

4000gallons. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

As somebody else pointed out, there are two grades of oil used for heating. The "35-second" oil _is_ diesel, and there's no difference between the product being used in a tractor diesel engine and the product being burnt in a heating furnace.

The "28-second" oil is also known as Kerosene and Paraffin, and that will mess up your engine, if it runs at all.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:04:23 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, well, that's the point - the additive. Currently C2 here is costing about 36ppl, so to do it legitimately (i.e. pay the duty) would cost as much as buying DERV. However...

'tis a fact that the principal point about going over to diesel engines for the military stuff was the ability to run on AVTUR if necessary, AIUI. Whether the aviation turbines can run on DIESO I don't know... I tend to think that a gas turbine should be able to run on pretty much anything... might lose power, I spose, which could be a problem in critical situations, but nowhere near as much problem as not being able to fly the thing due to lack of fuel...

Mind, I do wonder what would happen if you just added a bit of engine oil the C2... probably the bugger would separate out or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

An engine that runs just fine with pure vegetable oil should have no problems at all with heating oil.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

I know people regularly adding some engine oil to their fuel mixtures. No, I do not want to tell to much about these mixtures, but especially one guy puts almost everything that eventually could be used by the engine, all kind of oils, and he even disposed of his used engine oil by burning it in the engine :-)

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

I was running my 2.5 n/a on processed recycled cooking oil. According to the guys who know, the systems with bosch pumps are find on a 100% mix, as I was running a lucas pump they advised sticking with 50/50 as a lucas can't cope with the thicker 100% stuff.

No problems with lubricating the pump. Duty was paid when I bought the stuff but the guys also said you could throw in regular vegetable oil 'in an emergency' with 50% diesel and be fine, not sure if this referred to the bosch pumps as it'd be thicker than the recycled processed stuff.

I was using it for about a year, a bit of a sluggish starter on cold mornings but then it was a 1/4 million mile engine.

I could have added a heat exchanger to warm the fuel pre-filter but the same could be achieved by re-routing the heater pipes around the fuel filter. I could have also added an electric heater to heat the fuel for starting and before the coolant was hot.

The engine revved smoother, had a little more power, and smelt like a mobile chippy (a kind of subtle sweet smell, I quite liked it).

It's the same vehicle/engine Nige now has, I don't know if he's descovered any problems that he can blame on the oil/diesel mix I was using but as I said, no problems over the year(ish) I was using it.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

That isn't what we in the UK would call "heating oil".

Heating oil = kerosene = parafin = 28sec = now marked yellow. Diesel = gas oil = 35sec = marked red.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:13:02 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

did you process it, or did you buy it in?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When you do the chemistry to make "biodiesel" with sodium methoxide and USED oil, you have to titrate the oil with methoxide to adjust the amount of catalyst, else you end up with a glorious mess (allegedly).Is used oil "acidic" once it has been used for cooking, so it actually needs to be neutralised before you use it as SVO, or your engine will suffer ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I was buying it in from these folk

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Aah, ok, I understand. So the stuff used here for heating is "gas oil" in the UK, and also marked red like in germany.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

It *might* be 35sec oil but most modern pressure jet boilers use 28sec only larger and older boilers (> say 20 years old) use 35sec. I'd be surprised if 35sec was in general domestic use as heating oil in Germany, the US and UK certainly use 28sec. Big commercial boilers are in another leauge all together and burn really 'orrible thick black stuff know as "fuel oil" I think.

I don't know if the colour marking of rebated oils is harmonised across the EU. A German red oil could be a UK yellow...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is one thing for sure, you just order heating oil, you get the red stuff, and that was it. And it is also for sure that it is the kind of oil what every diesel engine can use. If the other stuff in UK is the same like kerosene, then I can say for sure, that the only usage for it in germany is the avaiation.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Heating oil is kerosene in the UK. Luckily it smells a bit "parafiny" so you can tell which garages are diluting their diesel with it - a local garage got done when a truck was tested at a Ministry road-side check - 60% kersosene, which is luckily about the maximum that can be added diesel before lubrication is destroyed. The garage chain went bust a few months later.......... serves 'em right.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:08:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Ours certainly is. AIUI it's something similar in weight to AVTUR (AViation TURbine fuel, AKA kerosene...).

they mostly have either chemical markers or don't need 'em due to being different oil, as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles