Tensioning Air Con Drive belt - 300tdi / 200tdi

Hi all,

I've just changed my Glow Plugs on my 300tdi Disco as the cold starts were becoming a little difficult as winter approaches. I've also put a new beefy battery in courtesy of Unipart - new clamp needed for this....that's another story...

Anyway, as I have Air Con the compressor unit has to be removed in order to get at plug no 1. This of course ment I had to slack of the tensioner to remove it. No problem there but I was a little 'fayzed' as to the procedure to retension the belt....

In the end I followed the Haynes Manual (sorry) and torqued the tensionor up to 26lb and tightened the bolts. The belt is tight - not to tight though - and has a little slack. There's no noise from it and it seems quieter than before. I checked the belt before removal and it was 'slacker' than it is now... It had a new air con unit/belt/tensioner last December fitted by a garage....

Could someone confirm the correct procedure to tension a 300tdi belt ?

cheers, Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

Well - I can answer this myself now......

After checking with an excellent mechanic (neighbour) I can confirm that for a 300tdi you torque up the tensioner to 26-28lb and then do up the three bolts on the tensionor bracket. Easy.

The 200tdi is different though.

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin