Test Book longevity ??

Just a thought; got the dear old beast in 1997/8 with intention of keeping it until one of us falls ! However I reckoned without the ECU etc. Question is how long are LR likely to be able to provide backup such as Test Book and the alarm system spares, Test Book must be based in Win 95 land and the spider for the alarm similarly afflicted ? I read somewhere that motor manufactures only have to provide support for 10 years ? Hardware is easier to source than software, does that ,mean we have a willing lump without the brains to run forever.

John H

110 Defender CSW
Reply to
Hirsty's

There is no easy answer where computers are involved with modern cars. To date the only bits of kit able to interface with landrovers and not exactly DIY friendly in the price department. I recently got rid of a discovery 2 mainly because after three visits to various differant garages with computers and spending a considerable sum in the process, the sodding abs hdc and tc kept on appearing. I have been a deisel fitter for many years and hate the thought of a vehicle not playing because a computer says no. OK so computers have their place, just not on one of my vehicles.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

Did you check the bearing in the back of the stub axle?

I can't arue with that (200Tdi and stcking with it forever!)

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Manufacturers are supposed to provide full spares support for 15 years. The trouble is that suppliers may go bust......and of course the vehicle maker has to not lose the drawings ;-)

Presumably, the same would be true for software, buit then there's always the web when manufacturers loose interest.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds