The Unofficial August Unofficial thread.

I've only been up there the once with the big tyres and didn't actually do the lane as a convoy of around 20 or so assorted 4x4s came charging past while I was parked on the little green area near the start at the pub end. Thought it best to leave them to it.

A few minutes later a largish group of bobblehatted walkers decided I must obviously be a part of the f****it-train and threw stones at Grumble whilst I was still parked up having a coffee. I didn't think that was fair play, so had a little 'chat' with them, which in itself probably didn't do much to endear them to me - or do anything to build bridges, but at the time I couldn't give a f*ck.

Reply to
.mother

Most camping barns have indoor accommodation - sometimes small dorms, sometimes a number of twin rooms. Depends what we can get, and how many come I guess, as to what options will be available.

Reply to
.mother

Possible Sunday night 'diversion'.

Charlotte and I will be buggrin orf for Sunday night to Manchester (if we can get a visa to enter Lancashire, obviously) to go see REM.

I know folk may find this a bit cheesy, but they do knock out a good tune and we generally go to most UK gigs within 200 Land Rover miles.

Can get tickets for anyone else interested (sorry, we're not on the guest list for this, we all have to pay). Back at Bass Camp around midnight - Manchester gigs tend to finish early for some odd reason - prolly so yuz can get to tha' booza in time like... (or is that Newcastle...?)

Reply to
.mother

On or around Fri, 23 May 2008 14:09:54 +0100, .mother enlightened us thusly:

You weren't absentmindedly carrying an axe were you?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 23 May 2008 23:34:42 +0100, .mother enlightened us thusly:

Coo, that sounds fun.

how much are the tickets?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

BTDTGTTS - trouble with France is .....

... it's full of French people - SCNR

bah humbug

Reply to
Derek

You could have a point look how the Germans ( don't mention der....) have their holidays

and they aint afraid of a scrap I dare not put the french link in beat me how they ever get owt done.Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hic!

Reply to
Lee_D

50 squid + a fiver booking fee (how the f*ck can they do that?) Stadium gig, stadium prices :-(
Reply to
.mother

On or around Sun, 25 May 2008 13:51:41 +0100, .mother enlightened us thusly:

eeek. I think I may give that a miss then.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just sending you an email with the map and all the routes for that area I have. A couple were from Andy and the rest I just looked at the map and chose routes that looked OK and legal ... ;) If you recall a couple were a bit too awkward because of the wetness, but they should all be easily do-able August time, so long as they don't get too much rain in the week or so before.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I've just come back from spending two comfortable nights in the pinz with a hammock rigged up inside the rear and a 3-seasons sleeping bag, despite the torrential rain we had both nights I got more sleep than I do normally at home! A hammock also means you don't have to worry about levelling the vehicle or moving stuff around inside, you just sleep above it. Size might be an issue, I think you might need a trawling net!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Dunno why but Outlook isn't playing, so you may or may not get the map. I'll put the file up on t'interwebby somewhere and post a link, then anyone can have it.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Nothing as yet....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Mon, 26 May 2008 21:53:56 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

The 109/110 back body (without the seats, in the case of a SW) is exactly the right size for a single mattress. The wheelboxes mean you can't fall out, either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've tried matresses in the back of the pinz, they're fine, but the best bit about the hammock is that you don't have to move anything to set it up, so you can still have all your recovery gear etc on the load bed, plus when you're not using it, it folds down to a small bundle the size of a fist. In a 110 you wouldn't have enough space to set one up diagonally across the load bed, but if you don't have a truck cab or load space divider then you could rig up a hook around the lower edge of the cab roof above the sun visors and another one at the rear of the truck.

If you set one up diagonally though, you'd not be able to use one with a wooden spacer across the ends of the sleeping area as they make it too square to fit, but a straight net-type one is fine, and much harder to fall out of as well.

My hammock was from an army surplus store and cost £8 so worth a try for those out there with a 110 hard-top and a desire to sleep in it.

90 owners need not apply!
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 28 May 2008 11:34:41 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

It'd go nicely in a 130 :-) Trouble is, I've not had the tuits to build the

90/130 6-wheeler.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Surely it would only take a weekend to knock up? ;-)

I saw a nice-looking 6xn (no idea how many wheels had drive) landy camper on the way to the MVT Beaulieu show last weekend, it was going in the other direction, a nice camper body on a clean-looking defender with a twin-axle rear, must have cost a fair few pennies to put that together. I suspect it didn't go off-road!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Was it anything like this one? Has lots of goodies to play with - and it has been very off-road.....

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

No, it was much cleaner and the rear body was a conventional camper rear, like you see mounted on the rear of normal motorhomes, it didn't look like an expedition vehicle and didn't have visible spare tyres, bull bars, winches etc. It just looked like a caravan mating with a Defender, but done very well.

More like this, but on a Defender 6x6 chassis;

Ian Rawlings