Tilt-why is it called a "tilt"

Hi , does anyone know the reason the canvas canopy is called a tilt?

All Land Rovers have a tilt as they get older, and I can cope with this as the correct use of language, although those nautically minded would call it a "list to starboard", but can't get the mind around "tilt".

Perhaps not being UK based I have failed to understand the finer points of the English language, so will be glad to learn from those in the "old country" as to the origin of this useage.

Seems that Land Rover uses language a little differently to that which I'm used to eg

Oil leak = chassis rust prevention

Lucas = "prince of darkness"

Fuel Pump = intermitent fuel delivery

and I'm sure there are more, but haven't had a coffee yet.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Actually, why is a canopy called a canopy, or why is the word 'called', called called?

Can we have our King back please?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

We've hed this question before, there are a few theories on the word tilt in this old thread:

Outlook will undoubtedy mutilate this link, if so go to google groups and search within alt.fan.landrover for "tilt"

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Hi Fergus, thanks for this link. It has, as you say, some interesting theories.

I asked this question, as we have a field day on Feb 15 run by our Land Rover club and I'm going to be exhibiting my S1 with its new "tilt". In talking to some of the others from the club we realised that we were using a term that, at least in Australia seemed a strange use of language.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Whereabouts in Australia Phil? Nowhere near Melbourne by any chance?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs
Reply to
mbqd64

|| 'tilt 2, n. Awning of cart [alt. of obs. tild perh. after tent]' || Unsure quite what the abbreviated spiel in brackets means;

Trans: alternate form of obsolete word "tild", perhaps formed as a derivation of "tent"

Tilt, meaning "canopy" is from the Old English "teld", a cover or tent. The word "teld" is clearly of Germanic origin, and I would guess is related to "tile" or "tyle", in the sense of cover or protect.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hi Tim, yes I live in Melb. SE side on the Peninsula. I take it you are coming down this way soon?

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

I seem to remember going through this about six months ago. The word is clearly an old one that has died out in general use, although probably still used in some dialects. (current Shorter OED agrees with above, dates from Old English, Old High German Zelt is the same word. As to why it has persisted as the term for the canvas cover on Landrovers I have no idea, but I suspect it has also persisted at least in dialects as the canvas cover for farm carts. JD

Reply to
JD

Yes, that was my assumption too. It makes sense: you have a tent, which you call a tent, then you put a cover on your wagon, so you call that a tent too, as the appearance and function are similar. When you get you first soft-top Landy, what is the obvious name to call the cover? Tent. Except the word was tild/teld/tilt. I'm sure a look into a few dialect dictionaries would find the word in one form or another nearly everywhere in the UK.

Interesting thought: since the Anglo-Saxons had wagons aplenty, I'm sure they called the cover a "tild" (or whatever). How strange to think that if Brihtnoth or Wulfgild or whoever dropped into someone's backyard today, he would point at the soft-top and say "hwaet a wunder-full teld thu hast on thaette Landig - canst thu giefan me thaem instucciones for thaem stikkes be-cause ic can naet ondersteond thaes buggeres."

(Note to scholars: no, it's not accurate, but it's close!)

Rich

Wanderere of Ranges 4.6 HSE Tiggere 3.5 V8 triallere

Reply to
Richard Brookman

All of Feb. Is it an 'Open Day'? I'd love to go all the way to Aus and annoy the missis by dragging her to a Land Rover show!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Can I have half a pint of whatever you've been drinking?

:0)

`Mark

Reply to
Agrippa

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother" > wunder-full teld thu hast on thaette Landig - canst thu giefan me

apart from the roads, drains, education, legal system, central heating, art, theatre and wine???

Reply to
Chris Naylor

and humour...

Tim Hobbs

Are you the Judean People's Front?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

No the People's Front of Judeo. Bastards

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Mother"

Reply to
Chris Naylor

I don't know about the history of the word, but tilt is also referred to certain type of articulated trailer. They have a wood internal skeleton, with short drop sides all round. With a canopy that lays over the roof, sides, back & front, & laced down. Handy for when the loads they carry need extra space, or can only be loaded from the sides instead of the back.

Kev

Reply to
Kev

Hi Tim, yes it is an open day, and you are more than welcome to come with me if you like. It's not quite a Billing but its a great day, and you'll see some of the differences in how we use our LR's.

Do you know where you're staying etc?

Send me an email off line and we can organise things.

Do you want to do a 4wd trip (can organise an interesting 1 dayer) if interested and get you out in the bush.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson