Tools : Drifts

.... for Bearings such is this weeks dilema... About time I got the real stuff, I'm running out of blunt six inch nails.

Any one got a set that they are impressed with for bearing removal?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Spend some money on some decent ones - you don't have to go mad and get SnapOn etc, but the cheap ones tend to bend and the ends round off making them slip off the intended target. Brown Brothers do Britool amongst others which are usualy good value.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:05:46 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

have to admit that I generally use whatever comes to hand, and while as you say soft ones can round off, they're easily resharpened with a file and they have the advantage of not damaging the thing you're drifting. Sometimes, when there's only a very small area to impinge on, you need a decent hard drift to get results, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lee what diameter bearing are you planning to give a thump I'm fond of machined steel bar offcuts Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Damn... I'm not 100% yet but basically the bearings that are in the nose cone of the Sailsbury Diff if that sheds any light. I'd imagine they can't be much smaller than wheel bearing size. Of course Larry could set his clock forwards and show us a photo of the bearing I'm going to take when I get it out ;-) If only!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D