Towing a Series III

Has it got a winch on too? If not then make sure the landy starts so you can drive it onto the trailer.

Also, after my experiences make sure you pack waterproofs and a towel incase it is pissing it down while you are loading up as it can take a while!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Theres a bit of both!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:31:48 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

commercial rated (van) tyres should be OK. I'd have thought that there'd be a claim against the trailer-hirer if problems arose due to inadequate tyres.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I believe not, even if operated within their rated load I suspect the tyre manufacturers forbid there use on trailers. That would give rise to insurance problems if a claim arose - I could be wrong here, but that was what my garage owner friend told me.

I'd have thought that there'd be

Yes, but a lot more bother that having correct tyres :-0

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

While there are some tyres which have no known use other than for trailers - Ifor Williams seem particular fond of sizes like 185/60R12C and 145R10C (10-ply) - most trailer manufacturers seem to specify tyres which are also found on some vans. My Bateson uses 175R13C, with a load rating of 97/99, i.e. about 1550kg/axle. The attitude "it's the right diameter, so it will do" does seem common.

Indeed. And since it's very difficult to get insurance against claims arising from hiring out trailers unless you're running a sizable business, there's a very good chance the trailer owner would have neither insurance nor the money to compensate the relatives of the bus queue you've just sliced through.

Reply to
Autolycus

Well some people don't appreciate the odds on being discovered or not.

Because I was too stingy to have my landie towed in after a smash up, I drove it about twenty miles in what would be technically speaking an unroadworthy condition in order to have it fixed. MOT was in force but it would not have passed an MOT in the state it was in., but then insurance company were none the wiser as I had not made a claim, in fact they were better off for it altogether weren't they.

I would wager that on a technical point almost any vehicle could be found to be unroadworthy from an MOT viewpoint at a particular given time, for instance if a bulb fails and you don't notice it.

Reply to
Larry

I would think a reasonable distance depended on where you lived and the closest garage, in the Highlands of Scotland it would not be the same as in the English Midlands.

Reply to
Larry

Once had my limo towed all the way from Ludlow to Coventry back to front on a dolly to avoid having to disconnect the transmission.

Reply to
Larry

Yebbut.. I thought your's was front wheel drive. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sean uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just seen this...

ebay

230090027515

Dunno if it's any use to you.