How to prevent my Series III from being stolen???

Hi,

I just purchased a really nice, restored Series III, and was warned by a local LR enthusiast, that "the nice ones always get stolen". So, I'm thinking about what can be done to make the car more secure.

Any experience/advice from the group would be most welcome.

Some specific questions:

1/ Are immobilisers worth the bother? (I guess you can only interrupt the ignition circuit, which is pretty easy to defeat)

2/ Is there a way to secure the bonnet, so it's less wasy to open?

3/ Is it worth fitting an electric fuel pump, to give another circuit to interrupt? (I'm assuming the fuel pump is mechanical)

4/ Just how nickable are these things?

Thanks,

Peter Moreton

email: Pete_Moreton AT yahoo DOT com

Reply to
Peter Moreton

I was told so and you can fit an alarm that uses a PIR inside the vehicle (but I've lost the name!). I know some years ago LOI had an alarm fitted to a Series vehicle one benefit of which was interior lights that came on when the door opened.

I think Paddocks sell hasps and padlocks for same.

Don't know.

Very easy to nick especially compared to modern vehicles and there is a ready market in second hand spares. A just fully restored vehicle is a tempting target too 'cause everything has just been repaired or renewed.

It's the excuse I make for leaving mine so tatty looking on the outside. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Peter Moreton posted ...

I found it easier to just wire in a concealed switch to the low tension side of the engine .. bypassing the distributor ..

I used a hasp and padlock.

Dunno how feasible this is, but it sounds like it might work.

About 20 seconds to get in and bypass everything to start one up .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

When I brought my Landie a few months ago I had all these same concerns, but now I think who would the thing.

I live in a very crime prone area where cars are often broken into, and I have left this one parked (though not intentionally) with the doors unlocked or windows open.

A good idea for those who dont know there landies is to put hi-lo lever into neutral.

Reply to
Larry

Of limited use on a Series, it's too easy to open the bonnet and jump a wire to the dizzy, ditto starter soleniod

Padlock/hasp, there was an official LR one, like the ones fitted to the lockers in a LWB, or for the seat locker.

You could fit an SU, i fitted one under the drivers seat, it would stop them getting the engine started.

There's a good spares market, but it's not going to get nicked to sell on as a vehicle, only the expensive rangies/defender get nicked and ringed. As for nickable, they're easy to hotwire, and get into.

Bear in mind a determined thief will simply arrive with a tow truck and lift it away, no amount of alarms/imobilisers will prevent that. What you need to aim for is to prevent casual theft/joyriding. The simplest way is to remove the rotor arm when you leave the car. I also have a battery isolating key on mine, and a lock on the steering wheel. It also is beaten up and looks a wreck, so nobody's likley to steal it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Padlock and hasp - any hardware shop can help here!

Can be a good plan - have a switch in the circuit, well hidden. It's not rocket science, but will delay a casual thief long enough.

They are probably well down the thieves list - unless someone patricularly wants one. 90' and 110's are a different matter.......................

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:01:06 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

nice one...

visible anti-theft things like sod-odd steering locks and those things you lock onto the pedals will slow crooks down, and/or make 'em more likely to target someone else.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi all

I saw a hydraulic kit in one of the mags recently of a device that was fitted to large plant macheinery I will dig through the mags and see what I can come up with cant remeber what it fitted into think it was the breaks but looked a dodle to fit and was ment to be well thought off

In my last job I was responislbe for selling security products and for a landy and with this being big in my mind at the moment with rebuilding mine and there being alot of equipment having to be stored on it im thinking what ever I can get on is going on.

I would start with maybe a good stering lock these can be picked up for about £30 from halfords / motorworld I use a stop lock and there ok not the best but ok.

Yes put a switch in the starter circuit but try to conceal the wiring were you can make it look factory if you can.

Takeing the rotar arm out is a good one but can be fiddly but worth it if your in a bad area.

If its on the drive a good chain through the gates with a padlock if they cant get it onto the road its not good to them.

just some ideas.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

My mate had an old S3 which was definitely in its last year. The chassis was never going to pass another MoT, and bodywork was really tatty, the brakes only just worked. It also had an ignition problem that meant it didn't actually run.

It got nicked. We assume it was towed away. He lives in a really good area, too.

We still can't work out why, but it is a scary thought that people will nick something that bad. Nothing can be considered safe.

Reply to
Paul Everett

not very nickable , realy

ive left the key in mine, doors unlocked, windows open,

and STILL they wont steal it !!!!!!!!!!

looks like im stuck with the baby.

but seriously,

anything that slows down the casual theif will probably work,

ive got a well hidden switch for the fuel pump solenoid ( same as petrol electric fuel pump) when they suss theres no fuel going to engine id be wrapping my baseball bat round their heads dressed in my PJ`s

but then again who in their right mind would want to nick a series???

theyd soon bring it back if they did.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

I have a electric cut-off key for the battery fitted down beside the handbrake and have pondered a hidden switch in the coil wire (ignition side) as a backup.

But bearing in mind the general condition of the vehicle and the fact you have to start it in the correct manner (turn over engine, press accelator three times and then she'll start) are enough of a deterent to put off most people. Is it just me or are all Landys a pain in the bum to get going?

Graeme

The message from richard.watson contains these words:

Reply to
Graeme Lornie

On 31 Jan 2004 08:08:45 -0800, pete snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Peter Moreton) spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

On mine, I have a padlock on the bonnet, and being a diesel, it's a bit harder to start than a petrol, I have fitted a big FO battery Isolator Switch, not easily visible, Batteries are not where you'd expect them:-)

Hi-Lo and Over Drive in Natural, and a steering lock on the steering wheel.

Quite simple really:-)

-- Dan Allen Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Ham Call sign:- M1ETN Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Packet Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7NSY.#32.GBR.EU Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-

  • Nothing is illegal until you get caught*
Reply to
Dan Allen

Reply to
Mike Derrick

snip

Peter What I did with my lightweight was to fit a hasp and staple plus padlock to the hand brake. Pull the hand brake on and offer the hasp up to the seat base under the lever. Drill holes and pop rivet in place. I fitted another staple to the other side so that it could be locked out of the way while I was driving. Bolts instead of rivets would be stronger, but a sad fact is that if they really want your motor there is not a lot you can do apart from slow them down. Unfortunately wiring the door to a 440v supply remains illegal for some reason. Mike

Reply to
Mike Derrick

A spring loaded spike under the drivers seat with a time delay of ten seconds wired to a voice recognition system that requires you to recite the lumberjack song backwards beofore disarming is not recomended either.

Reply to
Larry

I can recommend the clutch claw. This clamps the clutch and brake pedals together and stops either being used. Its made from heavy gauge metal and is very sturdy.

Quite expensive at 80 quid but supposedly very dificult to get off and would probably make a thief move on.

I think the company selling them is Noise Killer Acoustics, but I could be wrong. You'll see them in an ad in any Landy comic.

Reply to
Simon Barr

It depends on the vehicle, but something very visible is a good idea -- one of those bars clamped to the steering wheel, even if they're likely to be bypassed with a hacksaw through the rim. An old Series isn't so likely to attract the joyriders, but a clamp to lock the range-selector into Neutral would also work.

Trouble is, the RSPCA frown on leaving a dog in your vehicle, and I've never been able to confirm the story about the car thief, the sheepdog, and the police station in the night.

Does the RSPCA have anything to say about large cats?

Reply to
David G. Bell

Thanks everyone, lot of good advice here. I'll install some security in the SIII this weekend.

Reply to
Peter Moreton

It went on the clutch line, i.e. if you smashed the lock, you would loose the clutch. If the theif doesn't recognise the device, they would assume that the clutch was stuck. I haven't seen one, but I think the're about £350 - £400.... Jon

Reply to
Jon

Make a sodding enormous inflatable snake out of a motorcycle innertube, best if you can find a realistic plastic/rubber head in a toy or joke shop. Connect a bit of smaller bore tubing to it's rear end and push other end of this tube through a suitable size cork. Put the thing in a cardboard box in the back. When leaving the vehicle, stuff cork up the exhaust pipe. When the thief starts the engine ...........!!! You'll probably find a long brown stain down the drive, that for once isn't oil :-)

Cheers John

Reply to
oilier than thou